He has insurance that pays over $6,000.00 a month for an extremely tiny room (twin bed, night stand, small dresser is all that fits). The food is TERRIBLE! He has never liked sing-alongs, playing games or cards, shuffle board, other group activities. He likes to work on cars and motorcycles, build houses, design things... nothing he can enjoy at all where he is. He is beyond MISERABLE!!!! I am in the process of buying a house, in which I would consider taking him in and caring for him for the rest of his life. I would make sure it was all on one floor, had easy access for a wheel chair, shower chair, had a fenced in yard that was beautifully landscaped (I'm a gardener and Interior Designer). I took care of dementia patients for 20 years, also took in my grandmother until she passed at age 105. I then took care of my mother (5 major brain aneurysms that left her paralyzed and mute with aphasia... but understanding everything) for 9 1/2 years. I literally blew through my entire life savings. Because I never got paid, I lost all that time of social security contributions so I will have to work for the rest of my life. My mother was forced to live in assisted living with me sharing the tiny room so her insurance was not voided. Living in her home that sat vacant all that time was not an option according to her insurance company so we got socked with huge taxes and upkeep for no valid reason. This would be the ideal time to take my Dad in. I cannot afford to have no income, pay for his food, his medical supplies, care, taxes, transportation, etc. like I did with my Mother. How do I go about finding out how much I would get paid to care for my Dad in my home? I would certainly give him much better care than anyone else. I live in NC.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I'm going to guess you are buying the house with his money if he consents to that. Make sure you have an attorney draw up a care contract specifying what you are to be paid. I seriously doubt if his long term care insurance will pay you, but read the policy very carefully and look for the terms of payment. If there is an MD order for 24/7 care and your CNA is still current, ask them to pay you directly. If they insist the payment goes to an agency, ask the agency to hire you.
Helpful Answer (1)

Sessa9669, vast majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their parent unless that parent can afford to pay a salary. If you father can do that, you would need to prepare an employment contract.

I hate to be so curious, but how are you purchasing a house if you used up all your entire life savings and are currently unemployed? Or did I misread your post?
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter