Mom is 95 and still battling a UTI after 5 weeks and two rounds of antibiotics. She had to be hospitalized, and the hospital has strict no visitor policies due to the Corona virus. It is my understanding she has been raging all evening and medication did not help. Will a skilled nursing facility even consider taking her?

Nnursing homes have behavioral requirements. Generally they will not accept a patient until the patient demonstrates good behavior for 48 hours. If there is a psych issue that the hospital cannot control, then the next step is to wait for a psych facility. However, the UTI needs to be medically managed.
You are not yet in a position to calm Mom down on your own so just sit tight. This is something you do not want to manage from home

Are they investigating why she keeps getting UTIs Please ask for a consult from a gyneco-urologist while she is hospitalized.

UTis can result in what look like psychiatric symptoms in elders. Getting to the bottom of that problem may be the key to issue.

I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this with your Mom. Would having you or another family member present help to calm her down? It's really disorientating to be in a hospital; all the noise, different people barging in all the time, and lights on and off without notice in many cases. It's necessary so that health care workers can draw blood, change IV's, give medications, change dressings, and perform assessments. Just wondering if it's possible for you and/or other family members to take shifts to be with her and try and re-orient her if the facility will allow this?
Reply to gemswinner12
guiltridden64 May 7, 2020
Not at this time due to the Corona virus. Honestly, I think it would make it even worse as she is livid with us for sending her to the hospital. She was getting sicker and needed care we could not provide. She raged with me routinely and was getting harder and harder to handle. Knowing I did the right thing does not stop the guilt from slipping in.
(1)
We have used private sitters from our community but she has progressed beyond the care they are able to provide. She can pay for her care. The UTIs have been a reoccurring issue for 6+ years. I am truly worried we are reaching a point where she is antibiotic resistant.
Reply to guiltridden64

Of course she will be considered for admission, but it depends on the level of care she will need. Are they telling you she needs a sitter? If you can pay privately for her care, you will of course be able to find places that will take her. Medicaid beds tend to be more limited in number, and vary by State. Medicare beds are easier to obtain than Medicaid, but in these pandemic times, which state she lives in probably will have a lot to do with availability of beds at this time. Even if Medicare or Medicaid will pay for a bed, if she needs a sitter, I'm not sure how the cost for this is covered. Make sure to ask these questions of the Social Worker, or whoever is trying to place her or discharge her from the hospital. Was she living at home before the UTI, or in assisted or skilled living? Thanks for catching us up so we can best answer your questions.
Reply to gemswinner12