My mom needs home care. She has been diagnosed with Alzheimer and needs someone to watch her and give meds among other things. I'm her son and I'm watching her right now and I need to go back to work.
Is my mom eligible for help?
What steps need to be taking and what qualifies her to receive care?
Thank you for your response.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Angelo, how long has it been since her diagnosis. Most people don't need a high level of assistance right away. If you were to fill weekly medicine containers with her proper dosage, could she remember to take them? Or is she already at the point where she needs someone to hand her the pills and a glass of water and watch her take them.

What else does she need at this time? Is she still able to keep up with her personal grooming? Dressing properly, showering, toileting?

Can she still drive or does she need someone to drive her to wherever she wants and needs to go? Does she need help maintaining and cleaning her home? Preparing meals?

In other words, depending upon what she needs help with, you decide whether it needs to be a companion, housekeeper, nurse aide, or what.

If she has trouble living alone, you might consider an assisted living facility, perhaps with a memory care unit that she could transition to when needed.

So many questions, right? Well the reason is, the more we know, the more we can help you with.

A good place to start would be with the doctor that diagnosed your mother with Alzheimer's Disease. Ask their office for referrals to agencies. Check out the Area Agency on Aging. Go to which is the website for the Alzheimer's Association. Look at the top of this page under the heading "Caregiver Support".

Then come back and ask us anything you want. We'll try to help.
Helpful Answer (1)

Do you mean financial help to pay for in-home care? If she is eligible for Medicaid that program provides financial help to stay at home, or will cover care center costs. Note that in-home care would not be 24 hours/day.

You are wise to be getting back to work. Talk to a social worker about how to arrange for some help.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter