I was my Dad's POA for over 7 years, my younger sister was POA before me, but Dad noticed money missing from his accounts, then changed POA over to me. I had signed my Dad up for VA benefits as soon as he made me his POA. He had more money than he ever had. Once my Dad's lady friend started to check my Dad's bank statements, she started problems and was constantly checking my Dad's balances on a regular basis. Over a period of time she started being hostile towards me and convinced my Dad to change his POA to her and my younger sister. Now my sister is saying that I was stealing my Dad's money, which I never took a penny from my Dad, and, she told me that I am not allowed to see him at his home, only if she and the lady friend bring him to me. I have been fighting this situation for over 2 years. I sent my Dad a birthday card and wrote my phone number so he could call me, as his POA's removed my number from Dad's list so he couldn't call me. My Dad called me a few weeks ago and was crying that he loves me and misses me. It totally broke my heart. I planned on seeing him 2 days later until my sister called me stating I'm not welcomed at my Dad's home. I tried calling him, but it just keeps ringing. I think they turned the ringer off on his phone. I haven't seen my Dad for over a year now. I want to see my Dad so bad at his home. I'm at such a loss. Do I get another attorney? I just don't know what rights I have to fight his POA's.

POA's are for when the patient CAN'T speak for themselves (stroke, dementia, coma, etc.) NOT when the person is able minded or sane. They are only allowed to restrict visiting IF it's in the best interest of the person (they get agitated or scared seeing a particular visitor).

By all means contact an elder law attorney. Check your local Senior Center for low cost or free appointments.

You have every right to see your dad, especially since he wants to contact you. Go visit and have the police escort you in.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to SueC1957

You can also call APS and tell them that lady friend younger sister are isolating him. Have them investigate POA and financial issues. Go with your instincts, follow thru. You are probably right to have some suspicions.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to anonymous439773

A bank can not tell anyone who isn't signer on a bank account any information what so ever regarding that account.
When I pay my MIL's credit card, they rip off the balance and only give me a paid receipt as I don't legally have any right to her information.

How does the lady friend get info? Checking his balance is a no no unless she is a a joint owner. I'd mention that to the bank. Your dad needs to keep his statements on line or private so only those who are supposed to have his financial info can look at it.

POA's? Is your dad in need of a POA at this time?
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to Val3rie
Lynnie55 Aug 16, 2018
I was my Dad's POA for over 7 years, until my youngest sister and his lady friend got involved. My sister didn't have anything to do with my Dad for many years. Dad had more money than he's ever had when I was his POA. I made sure that he was physically and financially set. Dad's lady friend changed his bank statement from coming to my house and had it going to my Dad's instead. She has done a lot of shady things behind my back over the last couple of years. My youngest sister, who doesn't like Dad's lady friends has gained up on me. Now that they got all of my Dad's money, if there is any left, they are trying to keep me away from seeing or talking to my Dad. They had my number blocked and I believe they turned the ringer off on my Dad's home phone. I'm heart broken!
See 2 more replies
You can call Social Services and file a complaint that the POAs are isolating your father without cause. Let SS help you and your father sort this out and get it on file.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to MountainMoose

A financial POA does not have the right to refuse contact as far as I am aware. If there is a healthcare POA, I believe in some places they can limit visitors if they cause upset, especially in care homes. Does the lady friend and your younger sister live with Dad? What are his healthcare needs? Is your dad still mentally competent? If yes, he can change the POA at any time.

I think you need to get legal advice on this situation.
Helpful Answer (3)
Reply to Tothill

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter