At the present time, my boyfriends mother is in rehab. Before she went in, starting Feb. 1st, she received 9 hours of in home care. They had offered her 14 but she refused some of the hours. Based on the fact she can do absolutely nothing for herself, she needs 24 hour care. I will be starting work and will not provide any care for her. My question is at what point will waiver tell her she needs a nursing home? The reality is there are alot of people who need waiver services and i think its a little ridiculous that she is approved for 98 hours a week of aides in addition to the skilled care she receives 3 days a week.

It has been suggested for two years she go in a nursing home since she cant even get a glass of water for herself but she doesnt want to go. I will not be caring for her anymore so its up to my boyfriend and hes a pacifist and wont say no.

Also, just so you know, i have a problem with the fact that she had to spend down her life insurance policy and gave it to her grandkids and the casino rather than pay for her husbands creamation. Sorry, i sound a little bitter but this is out of control.

Tacy, thanks for clarifying, I must have misread thinking you wanted the State to bring in more help for your boyfriend's Mom. Yes, you are right, a nursing home would be less expensive and she would have 24 hour care. Plus be around people of her own age group.

Is it a culture thing [as per your profile] that is keeping her at home? I realize it is a delicate balance of culture vs care. What is best for her?

Freqflyer, Ive been self employed so the fact my tax dollars is paying for this already irritates me. The way i have it figured waiver wants to pay 2450 for aides and 1260 a week for skilled care...nurse, therapists, etc. That is 14,840 a month for her paid care and my boyfriend will have to pick up the other 70 hours a week. Its hard for me to comprehend the fact the state will pay that much a month for her care when i think a nursing home would be cheaper. This is not me saying at all she needs more hours at home. Im just trying to figure out when the state will say enough is enough.

Tacy, I can understand the need to want more help for your boyfriend's Mom but one has to remember it is the taxpayer who is funding this type of care. Once you are back to work, you will be helping to pay for her care through payroll taxes and income taxes.

Medicaid case managers look at the total expense to keep her home. Since they only pay a nursing home about $179 per day, that would be an expected cutoff for billed home care.