Veteran who had to quit my job in construction to take care of my wife. What savings I had is just about gone.

Very seldom are family caregivers compensated to home-care for their loved ones. Even if we are, it’s not enough to live on. I was told to sign up for a reverse mortgage. The government would compensate me $40 a week.

I wonder if you might need to put her in a facility. That way, Medicaid will pay for her care there. As the “Community Spouse”, they will leave you enough to live on. You may need to downsize and find a senior apartment which are usually 30% of your income. Call your local Jobs and Family Services, Area Agency on Aging or even 211 if you have that service. Get on Google and research help for seniors in your area. Here in Ohio, we have two programs, one is called Passport and the other is called Direction Home.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Ahmijoy

Call your local VA. See if they can help. Were u in the service during wartime? If so, you may be able to get Aid and Attendance for her. Call Medicaid and see if there r any services thru them. Is she on SSD? Talk to Social Services.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to JoAnn29
texrod Nov 1, 2018
Already did that.Since I'm not a wartime vet they can't help me.My wife has medicaid but they can't help with compensation since I'm her spouse.I live in Texas so maybe you can help me find a program I can apply.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter