My 86 year old mother is very independent. She is able to dress herself and go to the bathroom independently. She is incontinent and is looking for a product that is absorbent but that has enough “stretch” for her to use independently and that she can put on with her limited flexibility. Her knees are particularly difficult to bend. Incontinence underwear and the diapers she has tried thus far have been too tight and require bending. Any suggestions for a brand that is better for this?

Try disposables with tabs next

My mother did well with Walmart's Assurance XL underwear, regular for daily wear and the overnight unisex ones for the nights. The panty stretches and they were comfortable.
Reply to TNtechie
SharonDH Oct 26, 2021
Thanks for the information! We will give them a try!
(0)
Hi SharonDH-
years ago I was in a similar situation with mom and ostomy products. I researched product manufacturers and called them and was nicely surprised that most of them were willing to send us samples. Thank goodness!
Hollister 888-808-7456 is a great place to start! Excellent customer support/ help and their website has tons of info for consumers regarding continence.
Coloplast 888-726-7872 is another one of the manufacturers I found to be very supportive and helpful.
Edgepark medical supplies was one of the very helpful places I contacted; their number is 800-321-0591; edgepark.com .
I just found what seems like another great resource for you:
dignitymedicalsupplies.com; 800-728-9884. Their website has brands and product descriptions.
The customer service reps are extremely helpful and have always been willing to assist with recommendations for specific situations and limitations.
I hope these help. Have a great day!
susan xoxoxo
ps- Hollister and Coloplast are two direct manufacturers that are exceptionally awesome with sending samples and helping find products for specific needs.
Reply to OUHyperop
SharonDH Oct 22, 2021
Wow! This is great information. Thanks for your help!
(0)
I have read on a disability site about trimming the largest size baby diapers to be used as heavy duty incontinence liners. Just the external plastic liner of the baby diaper was carefully slit to allow overflow into the regular adult pull up.

https://continenceconnection.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/07/stuffers-tutori.html
Reply to GAinPA
SharonDH Oct 21, 2021
Great idea. Thanks!
(0)
Since it doesn't sound s if your mother has dementia, she might see a urogynecologist who could prescribe pelvic floor physical therapy for her. It probably would not solve the problem entirely, but it could mitigate it so that the products she used in the past will still work. She also might see about getting one of the prescription drugs that can help with incontinence
Reply to caroli1
SharonDH Oct 21, 2021
Thanks for your suggestions. She does take a prescription drug to assist -another thing I should have mentioned. Thanks so much!
(0)
Pads are an option.
But there is also incontinence underwear that is like regular underwear but is ultra absorbent. Thinx and Knix are the two I have seen recently there are others as well. The bed pad that I purchased for my Husband the company is Conni and they also make absorbent underwear. (Thinx and Knix have been advertising lately as "period underwear" but the also sell them for incontinence)
Any of these could be worn with a pad as well.
There are also "tools" that would help her. One I saw you clip onto the pants or underwear at the front and back, each side and use straps to pull the pants up.
Reply to Grandma1954
SharonDH Oct 17, 2021
Thanks for your response. She has been wearing pads for years (I should have mentioned that), but are no longer sufficient. I will explore the brands that you gave me to see if there is a solution there for her. Thanks!
(0)
If her incontinence isn't severe she may be able to make due with incontinence pads, tena makes some that are extra long and highly absorbent.
https://www.tena.us/intimates-pads-maximum-long/5429547300,en_US,pd.html#start=5

https://www.tena.us/TENA-ProSkin-3XL-Night-Pads/5439200,en_US,pd.html#start=7
SharonDH Oct 17, 2021
Thanks for the suggestion. She has been wearing pads for several years (I should have included that information), but now they are not absorbent enough to do the job. 🤷‍♀️ I appreciate your help.
(0)