No one is there to help the in between!!! Why work hard all your life?? I am not physically or financially able to help!! Where is the help for these elderly????

Truly desperate!!!

If your parents didn’t gift money, can you be more explicit on why you think the 5 year look back is keeping them from getting assistance? Is their house involved somehow?
Reply to rocketjcat

Sorry, you haven't said what the problem is. Can't help with resources if you don't know what ur looking for.

The five year look back may soon become the 7 year look back or the 10 year look back. The help that the government expects is for family to step up and help pay or take care of the loved one. medaid budgets are being cut not expanded. The tax climate is to eliminate programs. Tax payers don’t want more taxes.
Reply to anonymous439773

I am in the same situation. Back when father lived on his own and had plenty of money he gave grand kids some money towards college. At the time no one was thinking medicaid or assisted living. Now 3-4 later he is blowing through his money in AL and I am worried he will outlive what he does have. Can't get the money back, it was paid to the colleges. How many people really think about this 5 years before??? I think 5 years is much too long for a look back.
Reply to lkdrymom
Jrholla Aug 17, 2018
I agree. No one knows when the parents age, at what point does it become necessary, then if a spouse dies..it just all starts to snowball.
(0)
If she gave money away, then she could ask for the money back to pay for her nursing home bill.
Reply to cmagnum
Jrholla Aug 17, 2018
Wish that were the case. Never had enough to give away though.
(0)
Yes, to get the correct info, what happened that effected the five year look back.

Gave a large sum of money to someone?
From another country and hasn't lived here long enough.
Sold a house under market value.

Did your mother gift away money and thus she isn't eligible for Medicaid? Do you understand the 5 year lookback?

Call your local Agency on Aging. We have recently applied for a Medicaid Waiver through our Jobs & Family Services Agency. It involves opening a “Qualified Income Trust” also known as a Miller Trust. They can explain it to you. Most states have a lot of different Medicaid programs. We have one called “Direction Home” and another called “Passport” here in Ohio. Do some online research, get some phone numbers and call around to see if there is help in your state.
Jrholla Aug 17, 2018
Thank you for that helpful information. I will check in Alabama. My parents never had enough money to gift to anyone.
Just worked hard and neither had very much education.
(2)