I only have a Durable POA that covers finances and medical.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
If you are wanting to change out NOW, your mother may be out of luck until the special election period in the fall unless she falls into special exceptions. The Disenrollment period ended February 14. I found many articles discussing it, but here's an excerpt that explains the times well.

"Generally, you can only enroll in, switch, or disenroll from a Medicare Advantage plan during specific times of the year. Outside of when you first become eligible to enroll, and election periods that happen annually, your opportunities to make changes to your health coverage may be limited. ...

Annual Election Period
During the Annual Election Period (AEP), Medicare Advantage-eligible individuals may enroll in or disenroll from a Medicare Advantage plan.The AEP runs from October 15 through December 7 of each year. It is the one enrollment period that occurs each year. The AEP is also referred to as the “Fall Open Enrollment” season in Medicare beneficiary publications and other tools. Outside of this period, you may be more limited in the types of changes you can make.

Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period
Medicare Advantage plan enrollees have an annual opportunity to disenroll from their plan and return to Original Medicare between January 1 and February 14 of every year. The effective date of a disenrollment request made during the Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period will be the first of the month following the Medicare Advantage Plan’s receipt of the disenrollment request. A request made in January will be effective February 1, and a request made in February will be effective March 1. The Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period does not provide an opportunity to join or switch Medicare Advantage plans.

Special Election Periods
In addition, you may be able to change your Medicare Advantage coverage by qualifying for a Special Election Period (SEP). This lets you enroll in, switch, or disenroll from plans without waiting for the Annual Election Period or the Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period that occurs each year. Some situations that may qualify you for a Special Election Period include, but aren’t limited to, if you:
Move out of your plan’s service area.
Qualify for the Low-Income Subsidy (Extra Help) program.
Have full Medicaid coverage and Medicare.
Live in a nursing home, skilled nursing facility, or rehabilitation hospital.
Helpful Answer (0)

Has your mom changed her state of residence? I was told by a Medicare specialist insurance agent that once you choose a Medicare replacement plan you are stuck with those plans unless they cancel for specific reasons, I only know about moving out of county of coverage as that was what we were dealing with.

I would contact an insurance agent that specifically deals with Medicare and have them help, for that part you don't need anything, however, dealing with SSA will require mom telling them they can talk to you, I did this via phone. Plan to have hours available as it is very time consuming to reach a person at SSA.

Best of luck getting this all sorted out and may it be painless for you.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter