What can you do with medical durable power of attorney? I have medical power of attorney in case my mother becomes incapacitated. The problem is she will not go to the doctor to be diagnosed as such. She’s also been very sick the last three months and refuses medical attention. I’m at my wits end. She won’t even let a caregiver come into the home.

Find Care & Housing

This is a tough one!

Perhaps contact her local Council on aging and get their recommendations!

Short of letting her have a true medical emergency (which I'm sure you don't want) and calling 911, IMHO even as her medical POA, you can't force her to go to the Doctor.

The "Therapeutic fib" was a great suggestion by Geaton!
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to xrayjodib

You do not say why you believe your Mom to be in danger and incompetent. If you believe she is and she will not seek help you can report her as a senior at risk to Adult Protective Services.
Unless she has a diagnosis of incompetence you can do exactly nothing. See to it that you do not enable her. Give her the number for 911 and check on her morning and evening by phone. If she becomes incompetent to act in her own behalf call the ambulance and ask for ER assist with getting workup, diagnostics and possible placement, which may require conservatorship rather than POA for health care. You can also speak with her doctor regarding your concerns being certain to fax him your POA. Without a diagnosis of incompetence your Mom is in charge.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to AlvaDeer

If I were in your situation I would want to discount that there isn't something physical going on with her, like a UTI, a thyroid issue, over medication (if she's on anything prescription), etc. You would be within moral and ethical bounds to use a therapeutic fib to get her in to be checked. Tell her anything you think would work, like, "Medicare now requires an annual physical in order to stay eligible" etc. Plan to go with her. If she doesn't allow you in the exam room, have a prewritten note ready to discretely hand to the doc or staff outlining you are her PoA and list your concerns. Ask for a cognitive exam, check for UTI etc. This is what I did with my MIL -- the medical staff was happy to oblige, I think they do this all the time. You won't know how best to help your mom if you don't know what her actual health issues are. I wish you success in figuring things out.
Helpful Answer (3)
Reply to Geaton777

What one can do with it is make decisions regarding care or choices if the individual is not able to make them for themselves. I am sure others will offer more guidance. I don't know that you can overrule a person if they refuse help. I know you stated that. Do you think that perhaps your mother may not want to continue to live?
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Riverdale

Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter