I am the caregiver for my MIL who has Alzheimer's. I have now noticed her feet are stinky when I am putting on her compression socks and trimming her toe nails. She hates showers but I get her in there 2-3 times a week. She is diabetic, overweight a bit and has bad leg circulation. Maybe this is a fungus? Should I soak her feet in a solution of vinegar or Epsom salts or baking soda? Take her to a dermatologist or a podiatrist?

Medicare covers for a podiatrist to cut toenails every 10/12 weeks. This is not something you should really do especially with a diabetic. Nurses in care facilities are not allowed to cut toenails because of infections that can happen. If you can't get MIL to one, see if one does house calls.

Don't want to be alarmist but with diabetes and poor circulation this could be quite serious. If she were mine I'd want her checked out by a doctor to make sure there isn't a nasty infection going on. Nothing to see, is there?
SusieSmith Nov 1, 2018
I don't see anything that would alarm me for an infection. But I am always concerned with that possibility.
(2)
Checking with a podiatrist is my recommendation, once you know what you are dealing with you can go from there.

I don’t recommend using a hair dryer to dry between the toes AT ALL. Diabetics have neuropathy and may not feel a burn if you use a hairdryer. You can do more harm than good in an instant. A simple cotton towel will do.
Reply to Shane1124
jacobsonbob Nov 5, 2018
Shane1124, I believe a hair dryer can be used safely if SusieSmith is careful to keep her hand close to where the air is being blown so she can monitor the temperature. Having said that, it shouldn't be overdone to prevent drying out the skin (as opposed to merely drying the outside surface of the skin).
(0)
Place your query at www.peoplespharmacy.com
There are several answers of what might work

If you can’t get MIL out of the house, contact a company like Visiting Physicians, a company of medical professionals who makes house calls. They have a network of specialists, including podiatrists, that they can send out. It’s covered by Medicare.

People with diabetes who cannot learn how to care for their feet due to dementia, etc., should see a podiatrist. Make an appointment with a podiatrist and learn how to care for her feet between visits. People with diabetes have a harder time healing and certain solutions such as Epsom salts, etc. may make their condition worse.
Reply to NYDaughterInLaw

My mom also gets sweaty, stinky feet. My recommendation:
Twice weekly, soak her feet in apple cider vinegar, for 15 minutes. Rinse well. Dry very well. Apply anti-fungal powder daily, between toes.
Medicare does cover Nail Care by Podiatrist for Diabetics, every 60 days.
Reply to Canyon727
XenaJada Nov 5, 2018
^^this^^

My parents both had thick yellow toenails growing crazy, turning upward. They regularly see a podiatrist now and get nails trimmed and any other treatments needed. This is especially important when someone has poor circulation.

Good quality supportive sandals in the summer will keep her feet aired out.
(2)
Just get some lotrimin foot cream and put it on as directed. It will kill the bacteria that is causing the problem works great. You may need to get her new slippers or shoes though once it gets in the shoes its hard to get out
Reply to snidewoman

My Mother was diabetic and we never cut her toenails ourselves. She had regular podiatrist visits. When she was bedridden, the podiatrist came to the house. A diabetic has to be very wary of cuts to the skin of their feet. Prayers to you and your Mother in law.
Reply to angelsfrom1981