Has anyone used the VA Home Based Primary Care program?

Through the HBPC program, medical staff will make house calls for some geriatric veterans. The VA offers this service to qualifying vets who are living at home and have difficulty getting to VA medical facilities for routine care. According to the website, a veteran who is enrolled in VA health benefits could qualify if he or she is frail, has a medical condition that makes leaving the house difficult, or if their caregiver does not drive. A team of physicians, physician assistants, nurses and/or social workers will make house calls, manage care, and can even collect lab samples in the home. The veteran must live within a certain radius of the nearest VA facility.

My apologies for posting if this program's existence is common knowledge. We have been telling VA staff (medical personnel and social workers) for years that it is really difficult for our nonagenarian vet to get out of the house to his appointments, and no one has ever mentioned it to us. It was a fluke that I found it last night after looking for other info on the VA website.

I hope this is of use to someone else. You can find it on the VA Geriatrics and Extended Care page under "Home and Community Based Services."

Has anyone used VA Home Based Primary Care? Has the service been beneficial to you and your loved one?

23

Answers

1 2 3
Is this program also available to spouses w dementia of deceased vets?
Reply to CaregiverL

Well I couldn't get my spouse to budge to go to the initial appointment with the primary care physician. He's been in bed for a couple of weeks (that's another topic). So the appointment is rescheduled for this Monday and we are going to use a medical transportation service to get there. We will request and hopefully get the referral for a HBC team.
Reply to gdbrown

To plug VA, they've been my go-to health source since l976.
Reply to Cats4Ever

Today we have the initial appointment with the primary care physician. It will be through this appointment that the HBC team will be addressed and recommended. I also understand that the team is excellent. I'll keep you posted on the progress and prcedutes
Reply to gdbrown

Yes, contact VA and they should provide you with those answers. Myhealth.va/gov might be a good place to start. DAV and VFW may be other possible sources.
Reply to Cats4Ever

I used the Home Based Primary Care and thought it was amazing!!!!
I had Doctors, Nurses, Social Workers all come to the house.
(schedule them all in the same day if you can it reduces the co-pay if you have one or have them declared "catastrophic" and that will eliminate co-pay)
I also had Hospice and the Hospice and the HBPC worked with Hospice. If a medication that Hospice did not cover was needed they would contact the VA and it would be sent out. I would get calls monthly to update medications and verify that everyone was on the same page. Hospice would sent them info and they would send Hospice info.
I would not have been able to do what I did without the help of the VA and Hospice.
Reply to Grandma1954

We are in the initial stage of receiving VA HBPC. Upon enrolling and acceptance last week I explained that my loved one is not ambulatory. A few hours later I received a call to schedule the first visit for this week. How it will play out after the initial visit I'm not sure, but I am optimistic.
Reply to gdbrown

I hope to use them very soon Im so glad I asked for help
Reply to carolnancy01

lindylu, they don't usually, they usually have somebody that does it for them but
rakshita, are you talking about the health care benefits?
Reply to debdaughter

I've been told the VA has very strict income limits for benefits, even after 35 years of service and dementia disability.
Reply to rakshita

1 2 3