I went to the doctor and I have never got a flu shot and do not intend to. I was told it is a government mandate this year due to flu incidents last year. Has anyone else been told this?

Tacy, I don't know where the doctor got his information but I can't find anything on the Internet about that. All I see is mandatory for most health care workers and others associated with health care.

And in California starting July 1, 2016 that all children are required to get their flu shots. Also for children, the flu mist didn't work well last year so it was recommended to only use the flu shot for children.

I understand the healthcare portion. I work for a tech company so I go to the office twice a month maybe, everything else is from home. The doctor said he was notified last month that it was mandatory for everyone and I had to go then get a number or have the place fax it to him. I never heard this except for healthcare.

It is "recommended" that all people who work in the healthcare industry have flu shots. That includes everyone who works in the hospital from doctors, to volunteers, cleaning staff, security guards, food service, and those vendors who comes to the hospital on a regular basis, etc. Thus, some healthcare employers and some hospitals are making it mandatory.

I've been having the flu shot every year for the past 30 years and not once ever got the flu. Even my parents, who were in their 90's, didn't go one year without a flu shot. At their age, especially, getting the flu would have been deadly.