My grandparents have a large amount of money/income from my grandmother’s business that she runs. In the last 5 years, she’s been diagnosed with dementia and a mild form of Alzheimer’s. My mother and father have been the ones who have always taken care of them. In the last 3 years, my uncle has been in control of the finances for my grandparents and in control of my grandmother’s business. He and his wife have been splurging on personal things with their credit cards, but they don’t understand that he’s doing it and without their knowledge. My grandmother has always said that his wife controls him and he can’t do anything about it, but he is CONSCIOUSLY taking thousands of dollars from them WEEKLY, but won’t do the smallest things to take care of my grandparents. My mother and father have tried to get through to my grandparents, but they don’t seem to comprehend the magnitude of their son’s actions. He recently changed the wills, leaving everyone out with the exception of him and his wife—EVEN TOOK OUT MY GRANDMOTHER/GRANDFATHER FROM EACH OTHER’S WILLS. My uncle is a manipulator and he’s been in debt for years to his ex wife, but because he does everything with my grandparent's money, he isn’t found liable because it’s “not his”. I don’t know what to do. I just want justice for my grandparents and my parents. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Find Care & Housing
If your grandparents have been diagnosed with dementia, I am pretty sure that any estate changes, ie will, POA are NOT legal or valid.

Encourage your parents to retain an attorney ASAP, they can get reimbursed from g'ma & g'pa once your uncle is no longer in control of money.

Yoy can call APS and report financial exploitation of a vulnerable senior. They will check it out and look at financial docs, talk to gma and gpa. Will they be able to articulate that they didn't know and never gave permission for what has occurred? If not, dead end. They must say they didn't give permission or even know for anything to be done.

Best luck getting this disgusting situation dealt with and protecting your grandparents.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Isthisrealyreal

Does he have POA? If so he is abusing it. He also cannot change a will without Gma present and she has to be of sound mind. Even if Uncle has guardianship, he cannot do what he is doing. I think your parents need to see a lawyer. As POA or guardian the other children are entitled to an accounting. If Uncle has none of these then is there an agreement between him and Mom concerning a share in the profits?

Actually, if there is guardianship, Uncle has to account to the state how Moms money is being used for her.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to JoAnn29

Are your grandparents still mentally competent? How did the will get changed? I believe they would have had to sign updated will and estate planning documents for them to be valid. If your uncle forged these, then that would be fraud.

Your mother and father, and your grandparents, should probably talk with an elder law attorney to see what can be done to safeguard your grandparents' finances and review and discuss the estate planning documents as to whether or not they are in accordance with their wishes, and whether they are able to understand them as written. It can be discussed also as to whether a guardian may be needed to advocate for their best interests should they lack the capacity to make their own financial decisions.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to FrazzledMama

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter