My father had a stroke 8 years ago and through the years stopped talking, he is able to eat but in the last year has started to spit his food out after he chews it for a little bit, he will drink his drinks or a milk shake no problems. We have tried numerous times to ask him why or if something hurts or is bothering him but he doesn't say anything or have any facial expressions to know what it might be. Has anyone encountered this or have any suggestions?

It doesn't really matter what the reason behind it is or what past swallow tests have shown, spitting out or pocketing food means he has a problem swallowing solid food...he probably needs to have a modified diet, either moist minced or fully pureed.
Chocolate123 Jul 23, 2018
He does it with moist minced or pureed also, I was concerned that something was wrong inside and wanted to know if it could be fixed or could it just be depression. Thanks for your response.
(0)
does he have his own teeth (not false teeth) maybe a tooth hurts?
Reply to wally003
Chocolate123 Jul 23, 2018
Yes, he has his own teeth and we have taken him to a dentist to have a broken tooth pulled but he seems to spit out more since the tooth pulling.
Thanks for your response.
(0)
Thank you for your quick response. Yes, he has had numerous swallow tests, and he swallows his drinks or smoothies. He is getting a smoothie with vegetables and fruit and an ensure with protein. My mother thinks it is related to depression but I disagree, any ideas?
Reply to Chocolate123

ive heard that spitting out food is rather common. However, if he’s spitting it out he gets no nourishment..

Has as he ever had a swallow test? You may want to ask his doctor about scheduling one. Dad may feel like he’s about to choke.