I have MPOA for my mom who has Alzheimer’s. I’m getting ready to travel overseas, can I designate my husband to act for me? My mom isn’t capable of making that decision.

Thank you all for your answers. I didn’t think I could, but thought I’d ask just in case.
Reply to Momasays

As POA you are given the power to act as the individual themselves, I would consult a certified elder law attorney and have a new document that lists your husband as back up, they will know what you need to be legal.

Mine specifically address my POA being able to assign another POA if required.

I have my mom's lawyer draw up a temporary paper every year when I travel. I ask a close by nephew to do it. I follow up verbally about no increased level of care and notify nurses involved about the temporary plan
97yroldmom Mar 10, 2019
Hi Mac
What is your document called? Has your nephew ever had to use it? Is it like an affidavit that nephew has your permission to make decisions for the principal in your absence? Thanks for any information.
(0)
I wonder if as the POA you can have a temporary one drawn up just for the time you are gone. Your husband would just follow what Mom has put in her POAs. Or, as POA you can have husband put on the HIPPA forms just so doctors and nurses can talk to him.
worriedinCali Mar 10, 2019
A POA can’t do that, they can’t assign someone POA on behalf another person.
(0)
The short answer is no.... POA isn't something you own that can be passed on to someone else, it is a responsibility that has been given by your mother to you. We are fortunate today that we live in a world where you would need to be travelling to an isolated, technologically primitive place before we would be completely out of touch, if something happens and you are needed you are only a phone call away.