Follow
Share

I will be 65 in a month, still working and have insurance through my employer. I am trying to determine if I am required to sign up for part A. I have read / gotten various answers. A lady at 1-800-Medicare said I would be enrolled automatically, however I had read that this only happens if a person already receives social security benefits (which I do not). I read one article that said I would be automatically enrolled, then the next paragraph said I could defer. I would prefer not to enroll so I continue to contribute to my HSA account.

Find Care & Housing
I did talk with my HR dept, and the only thing she told me was that my insurance was "creditable". I decided not to sign up for part A as I cover my husband who is a year younger that I am, and we have an HSA which we would not be able to contribute to if I sign up for Medicare. I spoke with someone at a SHIP office and she said I was Ok with not signing up. When I do retire my employer will be asked to confirm that I did work there and participated in their insurance plan. I will then have penalty-free time period to sign up for Medicare. Thanks for the input from everyone.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to jmp9113
Report

When I turned 65 I was working for an employer with a small numberof employees.
I was told I had to enroll in Medicare as that would become my primary insurance and the company's secondary. When I eventually retired I enrolled in a Medicare PPO.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Veronica91
Report

Yes, to get Medicare automatically you have to already have been collecting SS. I would make an appointment at your local office. Its a lot easier talking to someone one on one. First check with HR to see if you will still be getting full benefits or that because you qualify for Medicare you will be a supplimental. Where my husband worked, he had to take part B.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to JoAnn29
Report

There's a difference between Part A and Part B. Since you've been working it's likely that your taxes have already qualified you for free Part A. No reason not to take that now at age 65. Since you are still working and have insurance through your employer you would not have to sign up for Part B now. Medicare would be secondary to your work health insurance. You wouldn't pay a penalty when you eventually get Part B if you prove to Social Security that you had that other coverage until applying for Part B. Don't count on an accurate answer from HR. Get your answers from SS. Also, most booklets on your own health care coverage that I've seen have a section in back that show how the coordination of care works when there are multiple insurances including Medicare. Which one pays first (Medicare, insurance while employed or insurance through retiremrnt benefits etc) is clear if you study the chart.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to vegaslady
Report

I think you should enroll in Medicare. Don't wait until it's past your enrolment deadline. Because when you do eventually enroll, the penalty is high. You will be paying a higher rate permanently. What if you retire and your income is not as high as you expected - especially with the increase cost of living and taxes?

You will also need to speak to HR. They would know the ins/outs of the company's medical insurance. When my dad retired, Medicare was the primary insurance and his secondary insurance covered his prescription and other stuff not covered by Medicare.

I also know of someone going through the process. He's going to be 65 in July. HR and other people said that it depends on how big the company is. The company he's working in is large. Therefore, the company's insurance will be the primary insurance. When he retires, then Medicare will become his primary...
Helpful Answer (3)
Reply to bookluvr
Report

Talk to you HR department. It's complicated and I'm going through this right now.

I believe that if YOU are the employee, your sign up and defer at 65.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to BarbBrooklyn
Report

jmp, it is my understanding if you don't sign up when you are 65, then you will pay a penalty later on. You may want to check on that.

You may be able to use your employer for secondary insurance as Medicare doesn't pay for everything, only 80% and the secondary would pick the remaining 20% if approved. Also, through your employer, maybe you can get pharmacy, dentist, and eye glasses.  Check with Human Resources.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to freqflyer
Report