My mother (82) is married, but her husband of 4yrs is now living in an assisted living facility after breaking his hip, almost a year ago. His daughters have power of attorney, and therefore; asked my mother not to return to the home she shared with her husband. She is now living in one of my rental homes, and receiving no spousal support from her husband. She is receiving minimal monthly payments from SS. My question is; would she qualify for medicaid?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I agree she needs to see a lawyer' It is easier to get om medicaide if you do not have assests that is what medicaide is for-those who do not have money for their care-if they are still married he has responsibilities to her no mater what his daughters think.
Helpful Answer (0)

What is the ownership on the marital home? Why did his daughters ask her not to return there? Did he own it before the marriage? Was the home sold? If he has a living will, what provisions, if any were made for your mother? How long have his daughters had POA? Is he not of sound mind? Sorry for all the questions, but it sounds like you and your mom think she has no rights as his spouse but in actuality she needs to know in order to determine her own eligibility for Medicaid whether her name is on anything and also what their income is. Medicaid has both an assets and income test. She's allowed only to own @ $2000 in assets and have an income @ $2000 a month. There are a few things that can be excluded from the assets test which may vary by state - like a car, a home where the spouse resides, a home you plan to return to. Keep in mind also, as it is not clear from your post, that Medicaid won't produce any income for her. The purpose of Medicaid would be if she needed long term care (like a nursing home although there are also Medicaid Waiver programs that will pay for certain services in the home). In fact, once she goes on Medicaid, she receives only a very minimal (like $30 to $70 a month) personal allowance. Has her health declined to the point that she needs long term care? She needs to see an attorney. An elder care attorney would be best
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter