Can Social Security pull a check out of someone's checking account? - AgingCare.com

Can Social Security pull a check out of someone's checking account?

My mom passed away on July 2nd. Her SS check was automatically deposited on the 3rd. Evidently the funeral home notified SS that she passed away, which is customary for them to do. By the 8th SS tried to pull the check back out but since I had sent some of her bills off there wasn't enough money left in her account which left her account overdrawn. Also, since there wasn't enough in the account for SS to collect they froze her account!!! After spending hours at the bank, talking to different people at SS (in person and over the phone) I was directed to the US Treasury Dept. (who issues the checks). Now, SS told me that the check was definitly my mother's since she passed away in July,reguardless of how early in the month, as it's for the month of June. The rather unpleasant person at the Treasury Dept. said this is not true!!!! Can someone clear this up?

59

Answers

1 3 4 5
My mother died on 5/24/18 but still received a SSA check for the next month. My name is on the account. Will I be in serious trouble if I withdraw the funds for funeral expenses and repay it to SSA a little at a time?
Reply to sguyton83

Lonelyperson, the check your husband received on July 3rd was definitely for the month of June, so you are entitled to that check. You are not entitled to the check that was probably paid on August 3rd or so because that was for July, and your husband would have had to live all the way through July to be qualified to receive the July check. Apparently, they take the last check back to make sure that it gets paid to the correct survivor and heir. If they took back the check that your husband received on July 3rd, you need to fill out a form to request that money back.
Reply to MargieS

My mother died on March 31 in the morning. And they took back the ss check. I was told she had to live the whole last day of the month to be entitled to the ss check. I guess that would mean 12 midnight .
Reply to Dat1917

I don't understand why my husband got his s.s on the 3rd of july and he died on the 30 july if that check was for the month of june, why did the pull it back, when he was alive. In june.
Reply to lonelyperson

My mom died on January 30, 2017 and SS wants the check back for the month of January. My dad died on Feb. 2, 2017 and his February check is owed back as well. It has been a year and going on four months and I cannot transfer his portfolio to the beneficiaries because of this. I have been to SS two times and called about four times and it still isn't settled. I can't believe the law is the person has to live to the last second of the month in order for the SS benefit to remain. Social Security definitely wants the money back unless the person lives to the last second of the month. This I know for sure.
Reply to Delawaregirl

So my mom died on March 20th of 2018...she gets her checks on the 3th of the month..on the 3th is April there was nothing deposit..so I should be good right..she was paid up in memory care center till the 30th..of March but died on 20th of March how does that work..
Reply to motherof5

My father passed away on February 2, 2018, the funeral home notified SSI. I also went on that Wednesday with the death certificate to notify them for my mother's sake so she can receive his benefits as they were both in their 80's and fully retired. They stated she will receive a phone interview in April. The funeral director advised me she should get his February check as he lived past the first? But so far nothing.
Reply to Ejeff7117

My dad died on Feb. 2, and I was told that SS can take the SS check back that was paid in March for the month of February. My mom died on Jan 30. They want her SS check back that they issued in February for the month of January. Does a person have to die on the last day of the month to be entitled for the SS benefits for that month? This makes no sense to me. So, if my mom lived one day more she would be entitled to her January benefits? Someone help me understand this.
Reply to Delawaregirl

My Dad passed on 4 May 2017 and he had received the check on the 3rd. My mother was allowed to keep his check. And then the following check she received in June was for the higher amount which my Dad had been receiving.
Reply to Mbw123

I'm all for a class action suit because its not fair what there doing to us. We are already hurting from the passing of are love ones when we get hit with finance problems. I am about to have my electric shut off and my house payment. I had already paided most of my bills and ended up $890 overdrawn and several other bill returned as insufficient funds. This is what I get for taking care of mom for 10 years with Alzheimer's. She required 24/7 care and it just about bankrupt me. I get different stories from 8007221213 Ss and the local Ss office. They pay one month behind and and it fall in there time schedule. The local office had the nerve to say I should have saved ENOUGH money for such emergencies. Is there any body out there has more money than they need that's on Ss. REALLY
Reply to Cjk320000

1 3 4 5