Mother is in long term care nursing home. If her Medicaid is approved, should she sign over her social security check to the nursing home. Are there drawbacks to this? She is currently paying her Medicare part D and BC/BS premiums with this, her only income.

What gives the Medical the right to assign my husbands social security check over to the nursing home? Since when does anyone have the right to take a persons social security check without anyone signing for it. My husband is mentally incapable of signing any papers and I have power of attorney. How can this happen?

How soon after after entering a nursing home do they start to take your social security check?

Do NOT sign over the SS check to the NH, That is not how Medicaid works. Talk to the social worker in charge of reviewing the application and he/she will explain how it works. there are deductions to be made for insurances plus an amount for personal expenses. The social worker will crunch the numbers and then tell you and the NH how much you will be paying each month.

If my mother is accepted by Medicaid in Nursing Home A, and she wants to change locations after a few months of being unhappy there, can he transfer to another Medicaid facility assuming they have room for her? In other words, is Medicaid transportable?

Every state has it's own rules but this is what we experienced with Mom. Her pension check and SS go directly to the NH. The NH has an account for her that is funded with $67 per month for discretionary expenses. She uses that account for the on site hairdresser, general store for snacks. If I need to pay her phone bill or get her toiletries, I can withdraw from her account. I'm her POA so I'm allowed. Her total monthly NH Bill far exceeds her SS and pension amount and Medicaid picks up the rest. The $67 is the amount set by the state. Her Aid and Attendance from the VA will go away, as Medicaid is picking up the tab. But it's taking months for the VA to get this done so we are pulling the money out of her account each month. We will be reimbursing the VA for all the money they deposited after she was approved for Medicaid. Her health insurance gets paid out of the SS and pension money. The thing that catches families is that all you have to work with for Mom's clothing, needs, little things is $67, or whatever your state has determined. One thing we did during the spend down was buy Mom everything we could think of she'd need....clothing, underwear, toiletries, you name it. We also did a pre paid burial package as that is allowed under spend down rules. What's a bit of an emotional hit for families is to see their parents working for years to get a home, build assets only to see it gone due to their care. But the flip side is that that's what it's for, not for our inheritance.

My Dad was diagnosed with Alzhiemers some months ago and now it is getting to the point where my Mother can't care for him. Is it true that if he goes into a Nursing home or a Veterens State Home that all his SS and Veterns check will go to the Facility

Can a nursing home attach house for not turning over pension for hisband in nursing home. House is in wifes name only. She is keeping part of check each month.

How exactly do you think the cost of having a loved one in a nursing home is paid when the person is on Medicaid? Sorry if I sound harsh here but this topic just kills me! When someone has money almost every last penny has to be paid from their own money for nursing home cost before they become eligible for Mediacaid assistance - while the people who were unwilling or unable to save for their old age nursing home care is eligible from the start - to be completely honest it isn't the fairest deal in my opinion. My parents were extremely frugal all their lives to save for "retirement" and now mom is blowing through all her hard earned money and savings to pay her NH bills. Mean while her SIL - who lived a more exciting, adventure filled life - spending and traveling without a thought of saving a dime for retirement has had her NH bill paid through Medicaid from the start. And for quite a while they lived in the same facility so it was not a question of perks or sacrifices that made any difference in the level of care they received. But I get it and if this is the price society pays so everyone receives care - which I believe everyone deserves, well - I accept that. But it irks the heck out of me to hear the recipients of this societal arrangement complain that it's not fair. In actuality the average social security check does not cover the actual cost of someone recieving nursing home care via Medicaid.

no no. i have my moms ss check deposited into her checking account; then i have automatic bill pay to the nursing home which then leaves my mom with $35 in her checking account which is allowed. i use the money for eye pads, clothings etc.
also every so often ss will be increased so your share of cost will be increased therefore you have to change the payment amount on your automatic payment to the NH.

1st, an update on my situation; was a court date, the daughter who had the checkbook but only had mom write the one check to pay her bill got cleared, the other one has a year to make restitution, so we'll see how that goes; meanwhile granma's getting to stay in the nursing home and still having medical issues, such as she just had a colonoscopy to try to investigate more her incontinence issues, so see how all that goes as well

now, Anderson, prepaid final expenses can be included in spend down of their funds without being counted against them, so I'd say, yes, that money could be used to buy their cremation, something I've been trying to get hub's aunt and uncle to do because otherwise their funds would count against them but it's not Medicare that picks up the balance; it's Medicaid, which I really think you meant because it's the one that has the asset limitation to qualify, which is why I think you were asking about using their money to buy the cremation in the first place and no way would Social Security cover the cost anyway but I hope I'm not just adding to the confusion since you say you've gotten many different answers. But, yes, the social worker at the facility you're considering is you should be contacting or are you talking about the different social worker, like with Medicaid? or possibly an elder law attorney might be good as well