It could be. People can get very passive and seem "not there," and sleep during the last stages. However, you should check with his doctor to see if medications are causing this, just as a precaution.
This is hard to watch, I know. Please keep talking to him and holding his hand or touching him, as he likely still has some sense that you are there.
Take care of yourself, too.
Reply to Carol Bradley Bursack

joan , u are not alone . my father sleeps alot . sleep wake up eat bathroom back to sleep and then wakes up eat its same old thing over and over , maybe a little bit of tv shows then dozes right back to sleep . he is 87 yrs old , has had heart attack and strokes , i do believe that it is coming to the end , a long slow one ....
keep comin back and you will feel so much better to have someone to talk to here .
im here .... xoxo
Reply to linda09

My 96 year old mother has dementia. She has a full time aid as she cannot walk or do anything for herself. She is sleeping alot and even when she is awake she keeps her eyes closed. She is also becoming combative with her aid, hitting and even biting her when she changes her diapers and washes her. She eats alot less than she used to and has lost weight. The only thing that seems to soothe at times is music and when I visit her and put her to bed we pray together and that seems to calm her down a bit. She talks about dying and seems to be ready for it. I pray for her to go peacefully in her sleep. It is so sad and depressing to see your mom like this. When I leave sometimes I just cry in the car on the way home.
Reply to Sues1220

My mom has Alzheimer's, sleeps a lot, but when the son she loves the most comes in, she is wide awake, ready to go with him anywhere. I have been her primary caretaker, but got burnt out completley with no help from my 5 brothers and sisters, so I just quit so they would have to step in; I just couldn't do it anymore. But one thing that bothered me, and still do, is the fact she mistreated everyone we brought in to help her, including me since I was there most of the time. She wouldn't let anyone we hired stay more than a couple of days; we finally figured out she doesn't like women, now looking for a male, but it could be the same situation with her not wanting anyone to help her even thought she knows she does things wrong now and can't take care of herself, but continually tells us she can do it. But, like I said earlier, my 2 brothers can get her to do anything, and she will do places with them, but not me except when I take her to the doctor, she goes then. I don't understand how she can be mean to others and sweet as sugar to my two brothers; it makes the other family members thnink she can be somewhat normal when she wants to. It's a mystery, just wondered if anyone else has had this problem (s)?
Reply to jeanifer51

joan, my mom has alzheimer's and she started sleeping a lot like your husband. This started about five months ago, I think, and like others have said, it seems to be a long slow process. Like linda, I keep posting on here so that I can be "with" other people who are going through the same things,or similar things, as I am. good luck.
ssk
Reply to sskape2

I am an only child and I watch my mom since I am disabled. Mom has had alzheimers for a while now and she too, sleeps most of the time. She will occasionally have a period of alertness but it's less frequent now. I look at her and emotionally, it is so hard. She is 90 and I know she had a lot of years with a quality life but I want to do this as long as I possibly can and have time with her and never look back with regrets. I feel for the others in this situation as it takes it's toll on us too. She is the only one who has stuck with me through thick and thin.
Reply to maxmax2066

It can be. Are you alone? Is he at home? Are you in contact with his doctor or Hospice. It may be days yet still. but my grandma slept more and more towards the end...
Reply to Jsomebody

I am not personally experienced with Alzheimer. I noted your situation on another post see if any one else can help...

You sound very scared and alone there. Is there an on call nurse you could call, or maybe every a nursing home would have an idea who you could call? Is he on medication, it may wipe him out.
Reply to Jsomebody

Joan, my father had frontal lobe dementia, he slept a lot at the end. But the end meaning months. I don't know about alzheimer's. Are you doing ok? We're here.
Reply to careshare

Sleeping more and other changes in sleeping habits are normal for the progression of Alzheimers. But it doesn't necessarily mean he is in the end-stage, but it does mean progression. My husband who has had Alzheimers and other dementias for 17 years, has had periods (months) when it seems he sleeps almost round the clock. Then he will go for a time where he will be more awake for longer periods. The only thing about Alzhimer's disease you can count on is change.
Reply to Cher60