Since dad lives with me can I deduct any expenses?

Dad, receives SSI about $1400 a month and lives with me. I don't declare him as a dependent but is there any advantage for tax savings? He covers all his expenses, medical, insurance and car. I cover the house and all expenses. Its not that I need the money but if there was an advantage?

23

Answers

1 2 3
Going beyond that for his own tax filing, it order to claim medical it must be 10 % of AGI, tgengine.

Heidi...being claimed on your taxes is not likely to ever cross anyone's desk and affect her benefits, especially her Social Security. If you're adding cash to her income that may affect her Medicaid but income in kind, like supplying her housing, not so much.

SSI is the low income supplement for disabled or impoverished. Social Security is based on work record and not changeable based on dependency. Medicaid supports are different in every state and if not affected in yours, you are fortunate.

@guestshopadmin - I claim my mother as a dependent and she receives 1060.00/month in SSA. It hasn’t changed her medicaid or SSA benefits at all. But now you have me concerned.

He must be your dependent in order for you to claim his medical expenses. It even goes beyond that question for his own tax filing. 

Aloha, the only thing my mom receives is a pension for the time she worked, and another as a widow. The problem is that because of the severely challenged economy of this country both pensions amount to less than $120/month! Unbelievable, I know. And the most unbelievable part is that my mom used to have two jobs, both of them high earning at the time. Other than the pensions, the only other thing helpful here is having certain medication subsidized, but every year is less and less.

I knew all of this when I moved here, and I did it after exhausting all other options. I saved as much as I could and currently have my house rented in the States, but these are the reasons why I was wondering if there was anything that could help from a tax or financial aid perspective, understanding that our situation is very peculiar.

Thank you so much for following up on my question!

Rosses003 - Does the country she is from or the country you are both living have any programs that will help your mother?

By care giving I would also consider doing laundry, cleaning, and any help that might be needed. Even if it was totaled out at 7 to 10 hours a week. Laundry, cleaning, making dinner is easily an hour a day. At $14.00 an hour for that type of work. It would add up pretty fast. Let's split the 7-10 hours and call it 8 1/2 hours a week. Roughly $161.00 a week, $644.00 per month and that is just the daily items. The bills and transportation added to that.

***To tgengine...If your Dad is a Veteran he may qualify for Adult Day Care as well as getting needed supplies through the VA. Things like Pull ups. gloves, wipes may be obtained through the VA. This can be a great savings to him and or you.

Grandma: I think you've got exactly the right idea. Doesn't sound like TG's dad needs "caregiving" in the traditional sense right now, but he sure does qualify as needing "room and board" and ought to be paying for it out of his funds.

This might be a good time to set up an agreement with your Dad. Make a contract.
You can charge hourly rate for care giving.
You can charge to take him to the Dr.
You can charge for food that you buy that he consumes.
If he is living with you you can charge him a portion of the gas, electric, cable, phone, water, garbage service, newspaper and anything else that might be a household expense this would include snow removal and lawn service. (Easiest way to do this would be to divide the bills by the number of people in the house. 5 people he would pay 1/5th of each bill) Save all receipts so if there is a question later on you can provide proof that the charges are legitimate.)

1 2 3