A sibling has POA or guardianship, but refuses to allow contact or listen to other siblings, and hides the whereabouts of the parents from the siblings. No contact is available, except when the parent manages to reach out on their own. How do we make contact if the parent can't and the sibling refuses?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Restraining orders are not issued over business disagreements. They are imposed by a Judge with good and valid reasons. So avoid contacting the person who has restraining order against them or acting as their information getter. Sara needs to write a letter to the court asking why visitation is cut off. This would be called a "show cause" hearing.
Helpful Answer (1)

1. Apparently either (a) Ella acted in her capacity as guardian in getting your in-laws including in the restraining order against Joe, and/or (b) possibly overstepped her authority if there was no legitimate reason to prevent Joe from contacting the parents. That might be grounds for judicial review.

2. If your in-laws were moved from a facility after your MIL contacted your wife (if I understand that last move situation correctly), it seems as if Ella did this specifically to prevent contact. Unless there are other factors involved either in the family dynamics between your wife and her parents, and/or there was legitimate reason to be dissatisfied with the facility the in-laws were in, I think there are grounds to consider that Ella is unreasonably sequestering your in-laws from their children.

If this is the case, I think I would get some advice from the local PD, consider asking the court (filing a petition for review, perhaps) to re-evaluate the situation, and also consider seeing an attorney.

3. You might be able to find out where the in-laws are now by checking the court file; you'd have to know the court jurisdiction in which Ella was appointed. Pam knows more about guardianship than I, but I do recall that reports have to be filed by the guardian on a specific timely basis. I believe that accountings also have to be filed. The next accounting should reflect payments to a facility, specifically by name.

(I think RainMom was a guardian for her son, so she might also have some insight on the necessary pleadings and accountings that need to be filed and could give you some insight where your in-laws are now.)

Ella had a restraining order placed against Joe which included no contact with the parents.
Helpful Answer (0)

We moved out of state several years ago. The parents were not living in good conditions, and another sibling (let's call her Ella) had some sort of guardianship (I'm not fully sure what kind).

There was a falling out between Ella and another sibling (Joe) who were in business together. Ella had a restraining order placed against Joe which included no contact with the parents.

Earlier this year, Joe called my wife (a third sibling, Sara), saying that he saw ambulances at the parents' house. Sara called Ella, and got no response. She was refusing our calls. When we finally got in contact with her, she was upset because we were responding to Joe. Since then, all contact has been removed, parent cell phones were apparently taken.

So my wife, Sara, has not been able to contact her parents since early in the year. This week, my wife's mother called her from her facility (this is how we found out she had been moved to a home), having to go through the people she could to get my wife's number. She wanted to see us over Christmas, and complained about Ella.

Somehow, Ella found out about this call, and moved her mother again.

We're not looking for guardianship or POA or money, just to be able to see my wife's parents and our children to see their grandparents. But we don't know how to get into contact with them without the sibling getting a restraining order or limiting contact.
Helpful Answer (0)

If it is a court ordered Guardianship, the guardian can legally cut off contact with persons who upset the parent, disrupt the facility or have a history of taking money or property from the parent, or try to take them back home.
If you are totally innocent of all this, file a protest with the Judge.
Helpful Answer (0)

I'm wondering if there's more going on between the guardian and the other siblings that contribute to this behavior.

But first, you state the sibling "has POA or guardianship." Which is it? A proxy under a POA has different authority than a court appointed guardian.

And are there any reasons why this is being done? Again, I wonder what the family dynamics are.

If this person is a guardian, contact the court that appointed him/her and ask how the guardianship activities can be addressed. Perhaps a hearing on the appointment needs to be held to determine if the guardian is exceeding his/her authority.

Assuming you were present for the guardianship hearing, were there any discussions, and did the guardianship order, provide authority to seclude the parent?

This seems very strange to me, especially the statement that the sibling "keeps moving the parent". Where does the parent live on a regular basis? If he/she being moved from one facility to another?

I think some information has been left out about the situation between the guardian, siblings and parent. It would help to get better answers if these facts were known.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter