Shredding tissue paper and collecting napkins when we eat out. So how do I deal with this?

I find pieces of tissue paper all over the house on the floor plus in her pockets on her sweaters are just full.

22

Answers

1 2 3
Who gives her the tissue paper?

I'm sorry

My Mom started putting the used tissues back in the box. Even though she had a sm. trash can right there. Then I'd find a pile of tissues out of the box. One time the box was torn up. Another I think she thought it was a mail box. So, I got a wooden tissue box stand put the box in it. Then she could only take one tissue out at a time.

Reminds also of traveling in Greece where the elderly play with worry beads - something for their hands to do while they sit and watch others being busy

Folding towels and sorting socks are perfect as is putting away the silverware in the drawer - everyone likes to help to do something while they still can

Oops - he chews and eats them. no blockages yet.

HeeHee. I chuckled when I read this. I thought it was just my aunt. Also the lost car keys showed up on her bureau 2 weeks later. (kept the spare ones with me.)
My solution happened accidentally. My 2-yr old lab/still puppy quickly decided to chew all tissues or paper napkins that have her smell on them.

Wow. I can't believe how many caregivers deal with this same issue as I do with the hiding of everything and the tissue thing. That's why I live this blog/support site. It is
Such great support👍🏻‼️

Lost my mom August 10, this year" Mom had dementia and tearing tissue folding them is normal, what I know and have experience tearing up tissue is something you would rather her to be doing.. It keep her still so you don't have to worry about her trying to get up and might fall or getting aggressive believe me you have not seen anything yet so sit back and let her do what she's doing because worst is coming. Sorry for being so blunt wish someone was this blunt with me doing her process.

My mom has been doing this as well. Turns out she has been "leaking" and was using the napkins as a feminine pad for beginning (and now almost full blown) incontinence. The napkins, tissues and little pieces of tissue were often from those that had fallen out of her underpants! I was finally able to get Mom into Depends last week, but we're still finding nicely folded wads of toilet paper, tissues and napkins around the house. Luckily most of them are unused!

Perhaps this is an entirely different issue (incontinence), but maybe not.
Personally, I like the idea of the "Activity Lap Blanket" and am going to make one for Mom!
1) This will keep her hands busy.
2) She is always cold!

Good luck! We have all been there in some way or another, so we understand the caregiving puzzlement and frustration. Keep on keeping on!!!

My mom must have had dementia her whole life! She left facial tissues in her wake wherever she went.

1 2 3