What have others done with a shower transfer bench so water doesn't go out onto the floor?

I bought a transfer bench for my Mom to take a shower. The shower is a full bathtub/shower combination. She was sitting on the side of the tub and swinging her legs in, then standing, but we're hoping she can sit and shower, now.

I have the bench in the tub with it right under the shower head and I realized that I don't quite know how to arrange the shower curtain.

With the transfer bench, there, I can't pull the shower curtain along the tub to keep the water in as we did when Mom just took a shower.

Or, to soak it up from the floor? Or, whatever ideas you have on this are helpful.

Before someone suggests a fancy bathtub, this is what we can afford AND we need something, right now for her. So, waiting to install a fancy tub isn't ideal plus there's just not the money for something like that.

22

Answers

1 2 3
Over $150 for a curtain with two slits in it CanadaNadine?

Invacare Bench Buddy Shower curtain

Bench buddy shower curtain works fine if you what the bench in the center of your tub but I want mine somewhere else. Also it looks like the slits could be too long or short. I like my solution better.
Get a solid color shower curtain ( I used a medium weight white one from Wal-Mart). I like it because it has magnates, suction cups and medal gourmets.
Also get a 3/4 inch sticky back roll of Velcro at least 2 times the length of shower curtain.
Assuming the shower head, hand held or water spiked is mounted on the side of the shower(shower head wall), and the other side of the shower is the back wall. Measure the distance between the shower head wall and the first bench rail, the distance between the rails and the 2nd bench rail and the back wall.
Now here is the tricky part. You need to cut the shower curtain into 3 panels. The first panel (panel A) goes between the shower wall and the first rail. The second panel (panel B) goes between the rails and the 3rd panel (panel C) goes between the 2nd rail and the back wall.
Now using proportions and assuring that you don't cut through a medal gourmet calculate the length of each panel such that panel A over laps panel B by 1 inch plus the width of the Velcro (1 3/4 inch in my case). Also make sure that the overlap is not covering a gourmet and each panel has at least 2 gourmets. Panel B needs to overlap panel C by 1 inch plus the width of the Velcro also.
Once the panels are cut attach (using the sticky side of) one side of the Velcro on the outside of panel A offset from the edge by 1 inch on the entire length of the panel. On shower head side of Panel B attach the other side of the Velcro on the inside panel B edge (you can overlap the shower head edge of Panel B if you want but I have found that this makes fixing the Velcro more difficult). On the back wall edge of panel B, attach one side of the Velcro on the outside of panel B offset from the edge by 1 inch. On the shower head side of panel C attach the other side of the Velcro to the panel C edge.
To install hang panel A and B and press the Velcro together the length of the curtain. do the same for panel B and C.
To use , undo the Velcro on panel B a couple of inches above the bench rails. Put panel B between the rails and pull it down with a slight tension. Refasten the Velcro being sure to press the area just above and below the rails securely. Adjust the curtain as necessary.
To remove panel B and move the curtain to the side grasp the curtain and jerk up with enough force to undo the Velcro under the rails.
One other fact that I have also found helpful is to set the outside of the bench slightly higher than the inside so that the water that gets on the rails runs inside the shower and not outside the shower.
I haven't tested this method with a non circular rail but I think it will perform much better than the Bench Buddy would in these cases.
If you need more width feel free to use more than one shower curtain.

Start with curtain in tub behind the transfer bench now pull it over the bench keeping it inward so that the curtain is in the tub behind the bench and as it comes up and over the bench it the bottom excess will be folded in towards the person and then it drops back down in the tub. When inside you will see how the water will run down curtain into tub or towards the person. Now when you get ready to open curtain take care to notice any pooled water (usually a small amt) on the folded area. Slowly open from the front again keeping shower curtain inward and at folded bench area jiggle water off and then push curtain behind you staying in the tub. I teach people how to do this all the time and the floor will stay 100% dry if done right.

go to dollar tree and get 4 or 5 car shimmy's roll it up at edge of floor these things absorbe a lot of water ,ring it out and dries guickly

You may need a double curtain bar for this but tension rods are fairly cheap & come in all sorts of colors.

daughterdeb, don't feel like an oddball! I have been thinking the 2 shower curtain thing since the first post. Just makes sense to me. Get 2 shower curtain liners and put up , one on each side. That way if you want a nice pretty curtain in front the others ( inside tub) the bathroom looks like nothing is any different.

Hi! I would like to share this great online resource for anyone seeking a transfer chair : medicalexpo

Bench buddy shower curtain?!?!?! It just goes to show that whatever you need, if you wait long enough and have the money for it, you can find it. Good to know about for when I next need to buy a shower curtain.

Bench buddy shower curtain, what a great idea! But, we are past that, I have to monitor showers and baths for mom and her hubby. Mom takes a bath, at least for now is still able to get in and out of big Jacuzzi tub, but don't know how much longer. I got her an elevator type chair after and had problems getting out last year. Her hubby takes a shower that I need to stand by for. He had hip replacement that has impacted his strength. His problem would be sliding the seat into the shower by himself, to say nothing of forgetting to rinse shampoo out so he can open his eyes before he stands up. He gets very dizzy standing with eyes shut and would fall very easily.

1 2 3