Does anyone know of a shower gown I could use whilst trying to wash my Mother's hair? - AgingCare.com

Does anyone know of a shower gown I could use whilst trying to wash my Mother's hair?

She has to wear a body brace and it's not to get wet. She can sit in a chair or stand but must be wearing her body brace but we are not allowed to get it wet. She has a broken bone in her back so she can't lean forward or backwards. I'm struggling to think what I could do or use. Thanks

24

Answers

1 3
The easiest and cheapest thing to do is take a lawn plastic heavy duty trash bag for grass clippings and turn it upside down where the seam is and cut a hole in it around the middle. Make it like a half moon but not too deep. turn it right side out and put it over your head. no need to wear anything under it because you can't see thru it so the plastic won't be hot since you won't be wearing it all that long. Just wear it long enough to bathe her and get in the shower with her in a shower chair. you don't have to stand directly under the water either. Just take the shower wand and wet her down completely, hang it up and soap her down quickly everywhere. Then rinse her off and you're done in 10-15 minutes unless you do the hair as well. tell her you will take her somewhere and she needs to be clean and pretty. Most will allow you to clean them up if they think they're going somewhere. once you get her clean, you get her out and dry her off while telling her she's getting a rubdown. she'll feel good when you're finished then just throw the bag away or use it for trash later after it dries. buying a box of 10 or 20 costs about 5-6 bucks and lasts a long time.

My Mother's hair was her pride and glory and everywhere we went,Mother always got compliments on it.It was long and she wore it up in a beautiful Vivtorian style with curls framing her sweet little face.To wash it,I put a salon cape foreward on her and then another one backward clipping them with closepins and Velcro and putting a towel around her neck and then I got a "funnel" hair thing from the beauty shop store and anchored that around her face and then she would lay back her neck as far as she could in the sink and I'd go as fast as possible.It was quite a feat.....I wish you luck on this with your dear Mom.Lu

Just get a hair cutting gown like they use at supercuts, sallys sells them. Or try amazon. My son cuts a hole in the bottom center of a large trashbag and pulls down over his head/ body when his wife cuts his hair. This way you throw away each time. Maybe even those $1 shower curtain liners, good luck.

Elder care specialty shop/pharmacy.

Send you little beast Ive only just seen that.

A lot of the American English is actually more accurate than the English English - gotten being a perfect example.

Increasingly the word whilst is not being used and pharmacy is becoming more popular with the influx of people from abroad. Nevertheless (another old word) I shall continue to use whilst and chemist. I do say while as in While I was waiting for the taxi to arrive but rarely in Whilst on one hand there is this, on the other hand is a glove!

I owned and operating a hair salon for thirty years and my first stop would be a beauty supply. They make large shampoo capes to protect everything when doing hair color, and water resistant smocks that protect the operators clothing too. I would look for something with a Velcro closure at the neck as you can adjust the snugness better than the snaps, but Velcro is getting harder to find. Also maybe check Sally Beauty online (or any beauty supply that sells to the public) as they may have more selection and the pictures and descriptions may help. Good luck to you. Hang in there

Love the language variations! Whilst, in California= while.
Walgreens, a chemist= pharmacy or drug store.

Language is important to me because society is rapidly changing the definitions and usage of language, intentionally confusing the meanings.

Then, there is the predictive technology.

I agree with Maggie Marshall, the large trash bag idea. We get blue extra thick bags from smartnfinal bigger than the 30 gal. bags, 45 gal. Cut a hole for the head.

Oh jude, sorry, but I just don't think the inflatable hair shampoo basin will work for your brain transplant.

Have no fear the best way to "shower" someone's hair is by using dry shampoo you just spray in and fluff out! It really is great. I buy Batiste at Sally's beauty supply, but I'm sure there are others. Washing one's hair more than once a week depletes the natural oils it needs anyway...I use Argan oil spray and oils also at Sally's.

Oooh Ooooh forgot to mention if you're still not sure check it out on you tube - it will show you a video of how to use it

I need a brain transplant. Use an inflatable hair shampooing basin and you can wash her hair in bed just search on amazon for 'inflatable shampoo basin' and it will come up you can also get a shower for them too and drainage. Have a look at the deluxe models.

1 3