Should we wait for approval of payment for caring for elder parent in Florida? - AgingCare.com

Should we wait for approval of payment for caring for elder parent in Florida?

My father has dementia. I have been caring for him for a year now without compensation. My brother recently quit his job to help me care for our father. We have a lawyer here in Florida who has drawn up a contract for care and submitted it to the court. It has been more than two months and the judge still has not gotten around to our petition. My family is in total agreement that my brother and I should be compensated for the care. We have the contract drawn up however our lawyer insist that we should wait until the judge signs off on the payment. My question is do we need to wait? Can't we just sign the contract? I am the power of attorney, the Guardian and the caregiver.

3

Answers

I hate reading about one caregiver child who does everything and then has to split the estate with deadbeat siblings. Even worse is to have something go to heirs who have done absolutely nothing and aren't even in contact with the elder (the grandchildren, in your case).
Reply to CTTN55

shakingdustoff, is your parents' estate to be divided amongst you and other heirs?
Reply to CTTN55

If you are the guardian, EVERYTHING must be approved by the court. Payment should be retroactive, yes?