Should I have my mothers teeth pulled? - AgingCare.com

Should I have my mothers teeth pulled?

I recently took my mom for her annual cleaning, and the dentist informed me that Mom's teeth under the bridge are beginning to rot away. She suggested that we cut the bridge and pull out my nmothers 4 back teeth(upper) 2 on each side. My mother lives with me and has dementia, so I will not let let be put to sleep for the extractions, I am afraid she will wake up worse. My question is, my mother has no pain or problems from this yet, I want to wait until it bothers her if it ever does before subjecting her to losing her teeth. Is this wrong of me. Love her dearly but handling everything on my own (9 brothers and sisters forgot they have a mother) and I hate to disrupt her schedule. You know how unsettled they get with chance. Any opinions will be welcomed.
Thanks

19

Answers

Hi Katheryn,
did you not see your dentist for any follow up? If you still have pain and swelling over a month after the procedure then there may be an infection or some other problem that needs to be treated, make an appointment a soon as possible!

I am 84 I had a tooth extracted with mild dedation tooth was actually ground out I have been doing well but now still very swollen been over a month ago been using water pik and salt water rinses and listerine. Seems more swollen and still pain
canot take anything but tylenol for pain should it be better by now

Coastle

Dentist is erring on side of caution, He/she may feel her heart would not be strong enough to handle being put under while all teeth would be removed,plus he/she figures she probably does not have that much longer to live so best to leave well enough alone.

My wife and I feel we are going in circles with the medical community regarding extraction of all teeth in a 90-year old. Granted, her teeth , especially back teeth, are in terrible condition. Her dentist is opposed to the procedure to remove all upper and lower teeth for a number of health (defibrillator, poor physical health, and mild dementia) reasons, as well as the incidence of loss, inadvertently tossing away the dentures, or another resident of the facility in which she lives stealing them. One oral surgeon adamantly refused the surgery. One said yes, no problem. She has been refused surgery on hammer toes for the same reasons mentioned above. My wife and I would like to concur with her wishes, but her health and our concerns about the ramifications of surgery causes us great concern to proceed. Our thought is if removal of one or two teeth due to infection is necessary, then we would do so. Having all teeth extracted at once is to us, out of the question. Your thoughts and advice based on experience will be much appreciated.

My Mom is 78 years old and has to have all remaining teeth pulled due to periodontal desease which has weakened remaining teeth. I am afraid for her. Any suggestions.

I would not have any dentist work extensively because it would be very traumatic for her and consider the fact that how many years she has left on this earth. I have to take my bottom plate out to eat because my plate c an't be fixed without much more work and worry for me. I can live with this and stay away from the dentist! God bless and good luck.

My mom, 84, has few teeth left and problems with her remaining teeth. She has a good dentist who has done minimal repairs and treated infections which has kept her going. He wants to avoid complicated caps dentures and bridge work as much as possible. At some point surgery, extraction, may be necessary, but I feel he is right. At 84 keep the dental work as simple as possible.

should I get my four molars out even they are not bothering me but dentist says yes thanks folks

should I get my four molars removed they are not giving me trouble but the dentist says I should have them out thanks folks

I don't know what to tell you all. I am 79 and had all of my teeth pulled 2 years ago. My false teeth are pretty but my bottoms don't fit bacause of my gums having shrunk because I had only 13 teeth pulled to get the false teeth. My other teeth werte gone for a long time. I have tried everything with dentists but don't want to get them screwed in because of the cost and also no guarentees that that will fit either.so good luck and God bless.