I was POA for my Mother for the past 4 years. Mom changed POA, back accounts & will to the two grandchildren. Do I need to go for guardianship? Mom has been forgetful and not really remembering. She never handled any finances before my dad died. After he died I moved in with her and all documents, will, poa, bank accounts had my name and her name. Since a fall in Dec of 2015, she went to stay with my daughter temporarily. In two weeks they had taken her to a lawyer (mom is in a wheelchair), changed the will, POA, closed existing bank accounts and opened new ones. My name had been removed from everything. In speaking to my mom over the past few weeks, she cannot recall signing any new documents. My mother owns her own home and has a moderate amount of money in the bank. I was with my mother 24 hours a day and noticed her failing memory long before her fall.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I'm with Garden Artist. What's going on between you and your daughter? Why would she be motivated to do the old Switcheroo? Trying to read between the lines here but don't have enough lines.
Helpful Answer (2)

Your name should never have been on anything. As POA, you are supposed to protect her and never ever use your POA to ensure your own endowment. As a Guardian, you open accounts in the ward's name, never in yours or jointly. Check with your attorney.
Helpful Answer (0)

I'm wondering about the relationship between you and your daughter, such that she would "convince" your mother to make these changes without discussing them with you, especially since the stay was to be temporary. Whose idea was this? Your daughter's or yours?

I assume you've discussed the changes because you're aware of them. What is your daughter's position as to why this was done? Since you're aware of the terms as well, I assume you've seen the documentation?

If there's friction between the two of you, I doubt that you would be appointed as guardian but rather that an independent professional would be considered more appropriate. And you can expect the see your mother's finances go down much more rapidly if that happens.

If your mother's short term memory is compromised, and if you have medical letters to that effect, and if your daughter was aware of this, you may have some recourse against the attorney who prepared the documents by reporting him/her to the state bar association.

However, what disturbs me the most is that apparently you were in agreement that your mother stay with your daughter, yet your daughter seems to have had her own agenda. Seems like there's a disconnect between the two of you, and that you didn't anticipate your daughter's action to change the estate plan.

I think before I did anything I'd confront the daughter and find out exactly why she did what she did.

BTW, where is your mother living now?
Helpful Answer (4)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter