Should I give my son POA over me? -

Should I give my son POA over me?


I'm 72 in good health. My grandmother, all her sisters and my mother all ended up with dementia. I see my brain slowing down, and I was wondering if it was time to give my son POA while I can still think. I trust him completely. What type should I give him? What will it allow him to do? He lives in another state. I'll be visiting him at Christmas. I live in a senior apartment complex and still drive. So I'm pretty independent. But I realize that anything could happen and I need to be ready.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.


Thank you for your advice. We are seeing a lawyer to get wills done while I'm visiting and figured this would be a good time to get the POAs done too.
Helpful Answer (1)

Everyone over the age of 18 should have a Power of Attorney for themselves. Plus a Living Will and other legal medical documents. Even an 18 year old can find themselves in a serious medical situation, thus leaving the parents to guess what might he/she want done.... no different than a senior citizen leaving the grown children guessing what he/she would want done..
Helpful Answer (1)

As you say you trust your son completely, I would say yes, he would be a good choice.

A "springing" Durable Power of Attorney is probably the type best suited to your circumstances. You're fine, you're managing well independently, but you want to be prepared in case the time should come when a) you're not doing so well and b) because of decline you're less able to recognise problems as they arise.

You can probably find out online what laws and regulations apply in your state. But the surest way to draw up an instrument that meets your personal needs is to talk through with your son whether he would be happy to take on this responsibility, then go to a specialist lawyer and make sure that the documentation is done properly.

A POA can be as general or specific as you choose; but you need to go for a happy mean. Too prescriptive, and it could turn out that it prevents your son from acting in a way that you would both find convenient. Too general, and your son may end up having to guess what you would have wanted him to do, and then feeling guilty for the decision, or coming into conflict with you because he doesn't fully appreciate your personal priorities.

At 72 you have time in hand so do it, but don't rush it. And congratulations - this is a practical, sensible and considerate step to take.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.