My husband has a extremely bad shoulder and his ortho doc said the only thing left to do is reverse shoulder replacement. Should he do surgery?

He has a surgical consult this month. He is 67 and with Dementia, newly diagnosed. In anyone's opinion should he continue with the surgery? If he does not have surgery he will continue on with his pain meds for the rest of his life and as now they are not doing their job because he has been taking them for about 6 years for other pain issues as well. Thanks.P.S. Will the anesthesia hasten his Dementia ?

18

Answers

Cricket 33, Thank you for being so long winded. We sign all the necessary papers with our atty Monday. I will be sure thanks to you that everything is covered. My husband's left shoulder hangs lower also. There is nothing left of his shoulder. I'm glad to know someone else knows about total reversal. YOU have your hands full.....My full respect and prayers go to you. I do not have the patience to handle things. But I pray all the time that God will give me some. Also it's a matter of when, not if he falls again and I am on edge 24/7. How do I handle this stress ? I'm new at this and just don't know how to handle it. I am sort of thinking no to the surgery but we will see when we go for consultation. Thank you

I suspect that the rehab is a critical part of this picture. If to "fix" the problem the treatment plan is for A, B, C, and D to happen, you cannot expect B by itself to provide a successful outcome.

Be candid with the surgeon. What are the chances of success with full and cooperative rehab? What are the chances if there is no effort at rehab?

Hugs to you! This is definitely Not Easy!

My Mom had a reverse shoulder replacement in 7/2015. She fell in 12/2014 and ripped her left arm out of the socket. In 2008 she had a "complete shoulder reconstruction" after a fall in a store [the store was deemed liable]. The recent fall was at home: i think her knees buckled and she slid with her left arm straight out, about 20 feet across a tile floor, landing on her side in the coat closet. Same surgeon. They don't do this surgery for anyone under 65 - he's a renown sports surgeon [football players, etc], Mom was forgetful before surgery, and the pain of home care exercises from Dec-Jan caused a challenge on her cognitive state. She began ruminating, repeating herself, forgetting where we were going in the car, etc. She kept falling [14 times in Feb], so the surgery was delayed and the home PT/OT people were supposed to get her legs stronger so she could have the surgery, eliminating the possibility of her falling. She went straight from o/night in the hospital, admitted for 3 days, to a NH/Rehab facility. She's now also on Nameda - for dementia. Yes, the medical personnel do indicate that anesthesia can effect short term memory, but the direct correlation to dementia is a bit in the gray area. Once a person has the "dementia" word in their chart, i find it becomes the scapegoat excuse for anything they don't want to address any other way.

Your DH will probably need outpatient rehab. i had to choose NH/Rehab because Mom would not do her exercises at all if the PT/OT person wasn't physically there to make her do them. i tried everything - doing them with her, trying to make it fun.... nothing worked. She just did not want to do them.

i cannot lift up my Mom, and she's not able to push up on her elbow to get out of bed [bought a bedrail that she could pull on]. i had to remodel the bathroom - grab bars, shower seat, etc. The car required modification: a grabber to get in, a gel seat to help her get onto the seat, a walker, and a rollator.

May i please suggestion, BEFORE scheduling surgery -- please make sure the Trust or Will or whatever documents are completely up to date. Make sure there's a provision for "future medical care" ... i wish there were something in Mom's legal papers for a "Disability Trust" that would have isolated part of her assets. i live with Mom, but as a daughter, i'm not entitled to what a spouse would [i.e., preservation of 50% for household expenses, and yet the house is left to the Trust, and i am to live in the house until i die. If i sell, the proceeds go to the Trust and two sibs. Mom became stubborn after surgery, resenting signing any documents that we were working on before her surgery. But you'll definitely need DPOA, DPOM, HIPPAA and ... well, the other day, the psychologist suggested i file for guardianship. WHAT? All of this since 7/20/15? What kind of fast train is going on...... i really wish we'd gone to an Elder Care Attorney -- a different attorney than the one who drew up her trust. Elder Care Attorneys plan for the inevitable issues that develop when HEALTH and LIVING locations and asset protection become so very paramount. It's not only probate to watch out for -- but the horrific increase in medical expenses - whether at home, or in a facility. Mom was hospitalized for 9 days after experiencing a UTI and bed sores, which occurred at the facility --- it cost $102 a day to "save her room." We just aren't prepared for this ... so please, have a very frank discussion with an elder care attorney. You do not have to turn over management of any monies, stocks, bonds, pennies in the sofa, if you do not want to. You may be better off not since your cost basis would change. Most states have a 5-year look back period of assets [to see if anything untoward/ unusual has occurred in the balance sheet of assets - like 'hiding money' so as to qualify for assistance. You may want to look at any life insurance policies to see if any funds would potentially be available for long term care.

i want my mom home. i need her home. i keep praying it will still be my choice. There still is so much paperwork/retitling of assets to be done, and altho i'm not to benefit, it needs to be done, for the safeguarding of her assets and home. i could be in an accident tomorrow - especially the way people eat/text/talk on cell phones while they drive, etc.

Yes, it is a painful recovery. But there is no way she'd have been able to "suffer it out" - her arm was visibly 2-3" below her collar bone. Part of her collar bone was replaced with plastic.

With the pain, the meds, the rehab -- her appetite deteriorated: it takes 2 aides to get her in/out of bed. i'm proud of her though - despite the blisters on her heels, she's starting to use a walker! She just needs to start bending that stiff elbow. By the way, check with your insurance: Medicare covers the first 20 days, after that it depends on the terms of coverage from any "MediGap" policy or the likes that you might have, if there's a need for outpatient rehab. Other choice would be home care, IF your DH is the type to actually DO the exercises, but could you tend to him while he needed showering, using the bathroom, getting him up/down stairs, or in/out of bed, if he cannot get up himself? i had to modify blouses for Mom - tank top and cut the shoulder strap so that it's tied with ribbons. He won't be able to raise his arm, nor abduct.

Sorry to be long winded - feel free to write me if i can help please. Blessings ~ crickett

Blannie, thanks. That's quite a bill, and a major step toward monitoring and deterring abuse of controlled substances. But I don't think it binds Tara to that particular doctor. However, there may not be that many pain management clinics.

Controlled Substance Agreement stating that you will Only get your meds filled from the doctor named above. (somehow the sentence wasn't finished, I just finished for all of you cause it didn't make sense).

Yes, the pain clinic could dismiss him. They call it the Casper agreement here in KY. I am filling out the registration packet for the ortho doc and there is a Controlled Substance Agreement stating that you will ONLY from the doctor named above. If the meds are not tolerated well we have to return the unused meds to the office. Lost or stolen rx will NOT be refilled. Yes, we can find another pain management clinic if we chose to but this one is about the only highly rated one and he has been going for a number of years. Not easy to find another pain management clinic. Yes, all his specialists will have to concur. He would not pull the bandages off or anything unless the anesthesia made his Dementia worse. Being a man I don't think he would follow up with the rehab. I hope I answered everyone's questions. Yes, it is very complicated. Thanks everyone.

Tara, another post of yours you were concerned about the guns in the house and locked them up. Is this at all still a problkem with him wanting them back? The anesthesia could cause a severe decline further into his dementia. Will he go to rehab if he has this surgery done? I would make sure that happens! You may find that following the surgery you are unable to provide for his care any longer. The best place to come to that realization is in rehab. The social workers there will help locate an appropriate place for him if you cannot or will not provide his care any longer. Following surgery who knows what might happen. Be prepared for whatever may come.

Here's info about the Kasper Agreement legislation in KY:

http://migration.kentucky.gov/newsroom/ag/fewerpillmills.htm

But I see nothing mentioned about patients having to sign an agreement or remain at one facility. I think Tarajane's hubby's doc may be taking it a step further.

There are lots of helpful posts here. I would also be concerned about the post surgery period. Is your husband able to cooperate with instructions? Will he pull on bandages and stitches? Will he allow the arm to rest for healing? Will he be able to focus on rehab? I know that when my cousin, a dementia patient, had fractures, she refused to keep a wrap on her hand. She would forget why it was there and take it off. She would not wear a Jerusalem brace when she fractured her spine. She couldn't appreciate how things worked to help her heal and get better. Just something to consider before a big surgery.

Tara, I'm not familiar with the Casper agreement, googled it but none of the hits related to any kind of "pill shopping" issue. I have an uncomfortable feeling about what this might be about though.

Does this agreement prevent you from seeking treatment from any other physician for pain management? I can understand if the underlying goal is to prevent someone from seeing multiple doctors to get scripts for controlled substances, as I know that definitely can be a problem with some folks.

But if the agreement binds you not to see any other pain management specialist, I would be really concerned that this is a restrictive and anti-competitive agreement, even if it is mandated by your insurance carrier. I would think you still would have choice of physicians who accept your insurance plan.

You wrote that "they" would dismiss your husband if you failed to honor the agreement. Who's "they"? The pain management practice? Your insurance carrier?

Given your husband's risk factors, the decision to operate may also be a function of pre-surgery exams. The cardiologist and renal doctors would likely have to concur that he's a candidate for surgery. Has the ortho surgeon who proposed the surgery advised you to get these additional consults before the decision is made for surgery?