My 84-year-old dad has short term memory loss. How can I not make him feel stupid, overwhelmed or scared when I talk to him? - AgingCare.com

My 84-year-old dad has short term memory loss. How can I not make him feel stupid, overwhelmed or scared when I talk to him?

3

Answers

Toots~I have been in that position as well-and you can train yourself to use positive reinforcement-and not argue/dispute/or show fustration with him. Eventually he will come around and verbalize his thoufgts to you. There is a book out-Learning to talk Alzheimer's that may be of help.
Best~
Hap

Talk slow and loud enough he hears you, do not inundate him with information, ask what he thinks about it and drop the subject unless it is emergent, his health or pain, or something dangerous, don't keep bringing up this he has trouble with if they are not important and accept there will be some moodiness and confusion. Good luck with it all...

I experience the same thing. Hope we
Get some advise.