Can a "short-stay rehab" withhold information in order to force the patient into long-term care? - AgingCare.com

Can a "short-stay rehab" withhold information in order to force the patient into long-term care?

We have been given mixed messages throughout our mother's stay. They refuse to train for any activity that would be helpful when we take her home, have delayed ordering necessary equipment and other aspects of discharge planning. Each person is given different information each time we ask questions.

Every discussion comes down to "you didn't talk to the right person" or "you don't undersand the meaning of the terms we use."

They have NEVER answered a yes or no question. Phone calls are not returned.
We were told that she would be discharged, but that was delayed since they never told us about the need for certain equipment and they did not order it.

I want to just remove her from the facility, but we do need the equipment. I fear they will charge us with elder abuse because they document that we do not show up for training (even though none is scheduled)

They change her care status to "restoritive care" I do not know how they will define that.
What can we do?

25

Answers

1 2 3
London, once you pull a patient on an AMA, you are pretty much blacklisted. Not only that, some insurance companies then refuse to pay the bills. You are pretty much backed into a corner now. About the only chance for rehab is directly from the hospital with a new person as POA.

In this forum we see too many families who bite off more than they can chew when they take a patient home. Zowie has to deal with PT issues, speech issues and now digestive issues. Personally, I would not take all that on at my age (62) because it is a 24/7 job. All the people who are glad to help you anytime quickly evaporate.

My mother went into the hospital in July because of a UTI infection. Stayed there for 4 days. I put here in a Nursing/Rehab for rehab to get her stronger. She did well for a few days, than she went down hill because they were giving her meds that made her very loopy among other things. So she couldn't do her rehab at all. I saw her just about every day. Found out from my son that they had given her 3x the dose in one day. She was not responsive at all. Took her back to the hospital because she had pnemonia. Sorry about the spelling. Their she was in the hospital for another 4 days. I sent her back to he rehab...yeah I know wrong move. She was there for 24 days and nothing got better. Had to send her back to the hospital because she wasn't feeling well. There she stayed for 5 days. So while all this is going on the nursing home wanted me to file for medicade. Well this time I said she wasn't coming back. So I took her to another rehab and she was there 2 and half days and they wanted me to file for Medicaid. Well I took her out on a AMA which means I will be responsible for her. Well they wouldn't give me a list of her medications and she cant stand on her own but I have a bad back and its been very difficult for me. I know my mother just needs therapy for a while and she will be back up on her feet I know this because shes done it so many times before. Now I cant find a rehab that will take her. Im down to my short ends. Rehab therapist will say what ever they want to...to keep your loved ones in there. I have only know one good place for my mother and they have no room for her. I just fired her doctor because all he wanted to do was put her away. He is wrong. Never again. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

Good for you speaking up about not wanting rehab and home care can be great. Our county finally got to be part of Visiting Nurses instead of a hospital and the health department handling home care through medicare-you had to learn to be combative to get good help-I can not remember how many times they wanted to cancell on me with the old system-and when I found out what they were being paid from medicare-it was unbelievable.

Wow, it looks like I narrowly avoided a mess recently. My mother (Alzheimers and a host of other debilitating ailments) was in hospital and the discharge nurse wanted to send her to short term rehab. I said I preferred not and she said how about a visiting nurse and physical therapist. Medicare will pay for it. I said, "that's much better." I also spoke with my mother's CT. Home Care for Elders case manager who told me that for a person with cognitive issues even short term rehab away from their home can be detrimental cognitively.

I am glad you called that 800 number is it an Ombudsmen the nursing home my husband was in most of the time tried to keep it a secret and did not post it very often and now when I go in to see Winnie I never see it posted anywhere.

My mother went in because of a partial hip replacement. The only reason she went in was because the doctor would not release her from the hospital until I agrees to let her go to rehab. I found one that was "The best in the nation". Yeah right with in the second day I was calling the 800 number that they have posted for any concerns. They sent someone and we all had a meeting so I could get out all my concern and then I told them she would be leaving after her 3 months was up. They wanted her to stay another 6 months and I just told them I could care for her better than they could, So I went through training on how to transport her.

Any patient on Heparin should never be allowed to walk or leave the bedside without assistance. If she was on Warfarin/Coumadin, that's OK. All falls must be reported to the physician, not necessarily to the family, but it does show courtesy.

I am primary caregiver for my aunt. She fell in her home on Jan. 2 and had surgery to repair her femur bone on Jan. 3rd. She has been in rehab and doing great for a lady that is 98. This morning she fell at about 3:30 am cutting her forearm. The nurse on duty did not call me as they are suppose to and I guess did not inform the head NR over the rehab center. When they did call me at 7:15 this morning and I got there the head NR was saying that it had been so long the ER would probably not put stitches in now. The cut has some kind of strips covering it (really a lot of these strip things) and they are afraid to remove them now to see how deep the cut really is. (The nurse who was on duty when she fell of course was gone by this time) because she has been on blood thinners since her surgery and they do not want the bleed to start again. My thoughts are, do they not want her to go to the ER because they are afraid the fall will be reported to Medicare and they do not want a report against them. I was very pleased with the rehab when she first arrived been since that time I have seen the lack of communication between each shift and have started losing faith in their service.
Thanks for any help you can give me or any ideas.
Pray for guidance in Illinois:)

My mom just got out of rehab following a partial hip replacement. If we had taken her out, even though her Dr had approved it, medicare would not have paid for it because the facility's Dr had not checked her out!!! They have a need to keep their beds full-- an empty bed equals zero income-- and they were pushing to keep her in. The recommendation was made at that facility to talk to the charge nurse; she was the one who sorted through all the details and finally got the ball rolling. Hope this helps!

1 2 3