My Mom (96) had severe constipation and her bum bled; we used warm salt water. Is it enough? - AgingCare.com

My Mom (96) had severe constipation and her bum bled; we used warm salt water. Is it enough?

Equipment used to scoop out the pupu 5days ago bruised her. now everytime she relieves herself some small blood is seen.

19

Answers

I think I spend my life uding a whole range of products tha I used to use for my grandson oh and gloves god knows how many of those I go through in a week but 500 doesnt seem to last that long let me tell you.

I also only used adult care desitin

I went thru more in a week with my mom then my baby.

ILove I always use baby wipes on Mum they are a godsend

Soft offds for awhile it seems to be, nothing that is too binding....Colace..warm water to cleanse.. maybe baby wipes that are gentle to a baby......what would a pediatric doctor suggest on a baby? It seems it's the circle of life all over again..........

Should have mentioned decaf tea.

If my mom had a BM and there was some red blood on paper, I would just use desitin for a few days and had no problems. At my moms age, I did not want to go the route of a rectal exam. I would give 3 stool softeners a day, per doc orders, morning, noon and night. She would usually go every 3 days. If more then that I would use the glycerin suppositories. With just a little bit of miralax she would have a blow out 2 days later. I did my best to keep up on the fluids. Would give her tea with lunch, cup later afternoon too. For us, warm liquids seemed to work best. Good luck with your mom.

I have just checked the carton of what looks like petroleum jelly that they use in hospital on my mum and guess what? main ingredient paraffin wax and liquid paraffin also found in vaseline - give me a clue someone? Is it safe to use or not - lots of info out there says not - Mallory I had missed that one I was so confident that as we always used it, it was ok to continue.

EEEEEEK Mallory my doc told me TO use it. I wish they could all get together and write an definitive on elderly care. It is easy to see from coming on here how many variants there are to the same problem FROM THE MEDICS, let alone from us as individuals. I have to say I use Vaseline not petroleum jelly purely because I know there are some rigorous purification issues that Vaseline DO adhere to but I will certainly investigate the coconut oil - I have two HUGE jars of it in the fridge

Please do not use Vaseline or petroleum jelly-based products on any elderly skin, especially mucous membranes like anal/rectal area. It serves to thin the skin. Mom's foot doctor explained this to me (after mom was using Vaseline on her feet). Coconut oil (which is solid at room temp but melts nicely at body temp ) is a great alternative. Plus as someone already noted has health benefits. But the Bigger Question is, yes you need to see a colo-rectal specialist. Anal fissures and/or damage from enema or manual dis-impactions are very common, nothing to be embarrassed about. The doc has seen LOTS of this. They can prescribe special ointment to help heal the area by promoting blood flow (takes a compounding pharmacy to mix). But mostly, time and softer stools will allow area to heal. If it does not heal, the surgical option is no fun (cutting out the wounded area and suturing together), and often fails, and requires....time and softer stools both to heal and prevent failure (so, just do that NOW to try to avoid surgery).