What can I do for an elder that is experiencing severs confusion and hallucinations to occur after being placed in a nursing home?

I put Mom in a nursing home five days ago. She'd had some occasional mild confusion at home, but often was coherent and oriented. On the day she was admitted she was lucid and coherent. The next morning when I went to see her she was totally disoriented and was hallucinating. She has not slept at night except for a few hours in the wee hours of the morning. The staff tells me it's not unusual for someone to be very confused for the first couple of weeks, that it takes that long to get acclimated. They were going to contact the dr today to go over her meds and see if he wanted to make any changes or order a sleeping pill. Does anyone have experience with this? Is this confusion and hallucinating a normal reaction to nh placement? Help!

50

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
This is something that happened today. He told me at times he wants to hurt himself. Is this part of the disease of AD. He said but his mind told him not to. I wonder if he knew what he was saying.

To Reba, I'm not a nurse, but a daughter and one of their Caregivers. I am worried about their vulnerabilities.

kathyjohnson, That is what I did. My sister comes over three days a week and takes some of it off of me. I am still working 2-3 afternoons a week in our office. That gives me time away from home or what ever I want to do while she is here. I think I would have gone out of my mind by now.

How is your mother doing now? I hope she has gotten adjust and better by now.

Is she getting used to life in a nursing home? If she is still hallucinating, have you thought about live-in care? That way a load is taken off your shoulders and you can keep an eye on her?

These days, video survl. systems could record everything in a nursing home. Heck, if there is a questionable subject, be it visitor or patient, a simple camcorder could be set up (with elect cord plug in), and some high quality video/audio evidence compiled, one way or the other. I suppose a nursing-home wide sign saying 'Nursing Home Under Video Surveillance." Suppose there are issues of patient privacy I have not thought through.

Almost every cell phone is now a camera as well, and one could grab pertinent video moments.

as a sole caregiver, I use videos to show the level of care I provide, at least as far a quality of life. I videotaped health crises episodes as well to show to doctors, and also videos to show mom's 'normal' level of behavior. They were both helpful in recent hospitalization. I have dozens of hours of film "in the can" that I haven't edited. Sorry, I veered a bit off topic.

ok...but there is ways you can get proof..i know is hard but instead of being accused i will half to look further if someone was blaming me i know alittle cuz my family did the same of course i had nothng to hide but the state came to dds unexpected and lord behold they found nothing which they were mislead their gonna come if this been reported regardless ...but i would call state if this nurse has been reported several time anyone can call them

msdiva, that is good but you can't always get the proof. There isn't much you can do about it. Like I said to SecretSister, if the nurse is reported several times then there is something going on.

SecretSister, It is hard to get past a person who shifts the blame. But if someone is always being reported, where there is smoke then look for the fire. If you are a nurse and a good one you don't have to worry. I had two nurses who were the best. But the male nurse was somthing else. Oh not saying anything about a male nurse.

Learning a lot from your posts. Thank you,

The accuser is a mental case that can be proven, as I have medical records both past and present of severe personality disorders and multiple diagnosis, and have personally witnessed spouse abusing spouse, with only my husband and me seeing this. Their church documented similar reports, but may not want to be involved. A sibling vacillates, holding out for inheritance. That sibling suffered abuse as well, as a helpless child. This is a nightmare! God knows the truth. Just hope the court can see it.

1 2 3 4 5