My 80 yr old mother keeps me up all night then sleeps all day because of seroquel?

she has delusions that her dreams are real. the neuro prescibed zyproxen! Seroqui. Seroquil messed her up 12.5 mg she weighs 225 lbs now zyproxen makes her gain weight I wigh 115I am her primary caretaker 24/7 no relieve no help no vacations.She has become aggessive and mean she has not been properly diagnosed department of children and families in now involved because she soved our 5 yr old grand son down on the floor. we have custody of 5 grandchildren for 5 years . when she is acting out she has no recall . my father and her were in a very serious car accident which killed my father and mom sustained a serioud frontal head injury.I believe she has LBD she has chf/kidney disease/a fractured back from a fall 10/15

27

Answers

1 2 3
I've learned so much from this board. Although it may seem like just a sounding board for our gripes and frustrations and grief sometimes...it has saved my sanity! I need to hear and know all the little things (like food-fits) to realize and remember it is not just me or my Mom that seems nuts! Theselittlecommonalities make me realize and remember to be more kind and accepting to me Mom and myself. I really see a difference now that I'm learning "it's better to be kind than right". I put that on a sticky note and placed it on my mirror.

Statbill I think if you look back on her life she will have traits that whilst much milder are indicative of the exaggeration you see today.

Mum was a bank manager at a time when women weren't so her road was hard nosed and when she wanted something doing her staff did it - immediately. But she picked holes in her day to day l;if work and home as long as I could remember - I got 98% in a test and she stopped my pocket money because I didn't get 100% - that sort of thing. Of course over time she didn't have to beat me up (not in physical terms) I could do that very nicely for myself - learned behaviour is damned hard to break let me tell you

Yet when we went out my mum would have whatever everyone else had if we went to a restaurant. She was incapable of choosing for herself - ALWAYS. If we had steak she would, if we changed our minds and selected scampi she changed her mind. She absolutely HAD to have the same. If I eat exactly the sort of food she does she will eat it - she will complain - she always has but nowadays much more vociferously as if the control knob is broken.

I don't ask her to choose these days because it is pointless, (well not strictly true I still ask but end up choosing myself since she always says whatever you're having - not that she means that but it is what she says) but I do like variety and she just doesn't....... I love British food but I do like French cuisine, Italian, Chinese, Spanish, Indian, West Indian foods too as well as hot dogs, burgers now and then and KFC which I have to ashamedly say is a serious weakness. I love broccoli she hates it, I like beans she hates them in any format. So unless I lose my entire identity by conforming to her food choices we have a battle on our hands.

She is absolutely self centred when it comes to her needs what she wants and she always wants it NOW. If it isn't forthcoming immediately then she can turn difficult beyond belief or attempt to do it herself, end up on the floor and then tell me it was my fault for not getting it for her....erm hello I only have one pair of hands and when I have them covered in flour you have to wait. Or not as the case may be!!!!!!

In all honesty while it DOES feel like her little tricks I DO think it is the dementia and the scariness of losing control bit by bit that leaves them desperate to find ways that they still have control over and irritating us does just seem to fit the bill - I assure they don't intentionally do so although on a bad day would deny having ever said any of this!!!!!

This is going back to pheonix's comment about our moms being related! YEs, what is up with the food preferences...changing every damn day...usually after I've just stocked up on her favorites...whoops doesn't like it today...and mad that I gave it to her! Argh, hard to not get irritated, I'll say! Is this something to do with memory loss or just her little tricks?

You might want to check these side effects! hello If it were me I would get her some Melatonin and start over, things sure aren't going good with that stuff.

dear curdburns...wow...such a sad post...i have nothing to add, but sooooo sorrry for everything that is going on. i sure hope you find some help!!!! keep us posted. thank you

Soma and Adderall are strong meds that should be used with caution for elders.

I give mum donepezil in the morning or she is worse than usual (Aricept to you in US) I swear all our mothers are related in some way (other than dementia!) Mine does her level best (and considering her age it is a skill she has learned and is ingrained into her) to just irritate me. She does like thin bread she doesn't like thin bread; she likes chinese food, she doesn't like the same damned chinese food; she likes toast, she doesn't like toast, she likes one cereal then doesn't!

I gave my mother Soma. It's a muscle relaxer that knocked her out at night. It was prescribed for her by her neurologist at my request. It mostly worked to knock her on her butt for the entire night. That is unless she had a UTI, then all bets are off. Snakes crawl out of the walls, aliens are plotting etc. If you don't want to place your mother in a nursing facility or if it will cost you every dime of your inheritance, give her a strong sedative at night. When Mother was in the hospital they gave her Atterol. It knocked her out.

Yes it is a mess. I feel better today, guess nights are hardest...darkest before the dawn...yet the dawn brings dread of the night again. To what lengths do we go to still be the "dutiful daughter". Even when my mother thinks I'm trying to kill her? BY the way, to be clear...I am not trying to kill her! Re reading my post it left room for doubt. LOL

Seraquel causes all of the above. Depakote was my guardian angel, e er 6 montha i weaned her diwn and within days the anger and aggitation was back. By 2 years she was off it. I occasiinal 1.5-3mg melatonin at night if needed

1 2 3