My 92 yr. old uncle seems to have lost his sense of taste and smell. Should I be concerned? - AgingCare.com

My 92 yr. old uncle seems to have lost his sense of taste and smell. Should I be concerned?

He also has started mixing all of his food together until it looks like baby food. He says he has problems chewing but chews some foods fine. He is also using more salt and always insists on never leaving anything on his plate, rather he is really hungry or not. He actually says that he never gets hungry.

2

Answers

This does sound quite normal, as our sense of taste and smell can become less acute as we age. However, loss of the ability to smell can be a sign of dementia, and smell can be a large part of taste. I'd have a doctor determine whether this is normal aging or something else is going on.
Take care,

This all sounds very normal, dmock. The taste buds die as people get older, so they often add more salt. The last buds to go are the ones for sweets, so your uncle may still love the taste of candy, cake, and ice cream. It can be a tough world out there for elders with high blood pressure and diabetes. All the food they can taste is bad for them.

Many people your uncle's age have trouble chewing, managing, and swallowing food. Sometimes the teeth are very worn, so things like steak or corn on the cob can be a huge challenge. Foods like cornbread can cause them to choke. Your uncle has found a way he can manage the food best, so I would let him do what he needs to do to make it palatable.

• I spend lots of computer time reading about new studies concerning health, seniors, and medicine. I occasionally get excited about something, but I have to remember: those studies are usually flawed... in many ways.
  • Many popular warm-weather foods are nutritionally dense, offering the added bonus of helping a senior get the vitamins and nutrients they need to remain healthy.
  • Specific vitamins can have a significant positive (or negative) impact on your health. Learn what each one does, how to spot a deficiency, and what foods you should add to your diet to make sure you're meeting your nutritional requirements.
  • I used to take lots of supplements. At one point, I was popping a dozen pills a day. Then I cut way back, convinced we need to get our nutrition mostly from food. I make these three exceptions.
  • A farmer's market is an affordable and innovative option for caregivers seeking to jump start their elderly loved one's (and their own) healthy eating habits.
  • A well-balanced diet is a significant factor in our health and longevity. Studies have shown that reducing consumption of animal products has a number of beneficial effects including a longer lifespan and a decrease in illness.
  • The varied health concerns of seniors can make it difficult for caregivers to know how to manage their elderly loved one's diet. An expert dispels 7 common myths about senior nutrition and offers advice for caregivers.