My mom has dementia and often stares at anyone in the room. Is this common for people with dementia? - AgingCare.com

My mom has dementia and often stares at anyone in the room. Is this common for people with dementia?

She will lock her eyes on someone, no expression on her face, just staring.

2

Answers

My dad would do that. I think they just lose their manners.

Yes, it is very common. It can be a bit unnerving, even when it is your own mother. I don't think they are really watching the person, but just idly looking.

• Dementia Aware. What does that mean? I read this all the time. Dementia aware restaurants, public places, even dementia aware cities.
  • People with Alzheimer's and dementia often experience difficulty with recalling the names and faces of their family, friends, and professional care team. In some cases, though, all they need is a little help to mentally connect the dots.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled experienced caregivers’ best tips for medications that may help minimize dementia behaviors like wandering.
  • As a dementia patient, I can still handle the chaos of Christmas Day, but I expect there will come a time when I can no longer cope.
  • Wearing purple, using hashtags and changing your profile picture on social media won't end Alz, but there are other significant ways that you can have a beneficial impact on patients and families who are dealing with dementia.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled experienced caregivers’ best suggestions for devices and programs to help locate and identify dementia patients who wander.