How can I deal with mother's refusal to eat? - AgingCare.com

How can I deal with mother's refusal to eat?

My mom has been in assisted living for 5 weeks and she has lost 12 pounds during this time. She weighs only 80 pounds. Now she is refusing to eat and says that she doesn't want to eat because it will make her sick. She also seems to have no sense of taste and has difficulty swallowing. She won't drink any kind of shakes or nutritional drinks. I don't know what to do. She has vascular dementia and alzheimers. Could she be in the later stages of the disease even though she is still mobile and able to dress herself? She told me today that she didn't think she could live much longer like this.

21

Answers

1 3
dementia patient refuses food saying they have eaten, but you know they haven't. What do you do?

To the woman that her mother has a court guardian. Have her sign you as her Power Of Attorney. You will have more say than the guardian. Make sure she signs you as Medical and Financial Power of Attorney. They are two different things. All you need is the forms which you can print from on line and you will need a Notary.

Treat the depression even if you don't know for sure she is depressed; there is one that is suppose to increase/help appetite, I am sorry I don't know the name. Eating alone also could be contributing.

They (hospice) tell me when mom is nearing her time. She will refuse to eat or have no taste at all. She will also forget how to swallow. I'm sorry that this is getting hard. But she obviously has some indication to what is happening to her. God Bless.

Forgot to mention - my mom told me that her taste buds get "bored" easily so I am always trying to come up with something to stimulate them. She loves anything with barbecue sauce (for now) and spices that have zing to them (in addition to sweets) she will eat up. I've heard that the taste buds do dull as they get older.

My mom wouldn't eat a thing when she first came to live with me. I bought her ensure and mixed it with whole milk, that is all she would eat. after several weeks, she was in my car and I stopped at a fast food place and ordered a sliced beef sandwich. She smelled it in the bag and grabbed it, peeled off the wrapper and chomped it down like she was starving. The smell of the food was what enticed her to eat. She was on some medication that makes her taste buds dull. When I cook at home, she always want me to put just a little honey on everything, and she eats it up. Her favorite food is french toast with syrup. She actually ate two pieces this morning. Also, she won't eat much if I am watching her. But when I leave the room, she gobbles up the food.

If she likes ice cream, give it to her.

dear treatment time...omg who fed ur mom soup with the tube in...that's awful and i am sure you mom is scared to death....omg

i have no experience with this but i am a mental health professional ; the new environment might be contributing to the change in her appetite; perhaps depressed but cannot articulate how she feels. perhaps a patch anti depressant to see if this is the cause

to the person whose mother has a guardian...how did mother obtain a guardian as opposed to you being poa for her?

JudyJudy-what a sweet caregiver you are!
Abby33-Have you asked her why she thinks it will hurt her to eat? My MIL had a 911/ICU situation due to C-Diff infection. When she was healing she needed to eat real food but refused, combatively saying it would hurt her. What she was remembering was a visitor snuck food in and fed her soup--WITH AN N/G TUBE IN, so MIL had a horrible, near fatal setback. Due to the setback a different antibiotic was used (I had the same antibiotic through PICC so I could talk to her first hand) and it makes taste and smell have sulfuric odor & taste. Once I explained her fears and what she was basing them on was real, she agreed to try to eat. Starting with a couple bites a day, now she is in REHAB eating up a storm. We have to remember that even though their complaints seem unfounded to us, 99% of the time there is a valid reason behind them.....to them. Keep plugging away Abby....you have a great heart for her.

1 3