What is the thing with tissues?

Mom with dementia goes through at least 4 large boxes of tissues each week. Her nose seems to run all the time and she always has a tissue handy, but she is obsessed with tissues. Sometimes I can tell where she's been at the ALF from the dropped tissues on the floor. Is this common?

19

Answers

My mom, 86, Parkinson's diagnosis uses kleenex as a security blanket. She will take them out of the box, wipe her nose and then put it back into the box. She stuffs them in her shirt, under the TV controller, in her blankets, in her chair, everywhere. I bought an alcohol spray bottle at CVS (actually bought 4, one for each room) and I spray everything, even her/my fingers...it's light, and cleans great without washing all the time. Dr. diagnosed her as dementia patient but I kept going back telling them there was something else going on and it turned out to be Parkinsons. Too bad they didn't catch it sooner, we could have saved some receptors. But carbidopa/levidopa has stopped the shaking. Early signs, plopping in a chair, leaving cupboards open, can't write legibly or keep their checkbook anymore. Forgetting where things are. Stuffing plastic bags with things that are junk and wrapping them in more plastic bags. Telling everybody what she was watching on tv now she saw on tv yesterday...even the news.....and we thought our dad was losing his memory when in fact it turns out it was our mom. Long term smoking seems to be a link for a lot of Parkinson's patients.

I have reported this behavior to the Home Hospice and they are talking with a geriatric Dr. I dont trust her regular Dr. They have made several mistakes in her care in the past few months. I believe since Hospice provides us a social worker to oversee her care, things will get better. In the meantime I am trying to keep newspaper away from her

KDCULLEY - one of you need to talk to MIL's doctor about this behavior. Hopefully it's a newspaper with soy-based ink! She's getting her "fiber", that's for sure.

It can be an anxiety behavior that meds might take the edge off. Her dementia doctor should be able to help.

My mother was OCD about tissues. Runny, runny nose even with allergy or cold meds before we knew how serious her dementia really was.Multiple boxes in the car, in every room. Her purse had more dirty ones in it than anything else. Later, she stashed them in the basket under the seat of her walker. Eww. She would be holding onto several at once, but eventually got to where she wasn't wiping her drippy nose anymore.

They said she has Alzheimers, but there are more signs of other dementias with her than Alzheimers. We will never know for sure, and it's too late now to matter.

Now MIL is tearing up newspaper and chewing on it as well as kleenex

My mom when she was in the early to middle stages folde up paper towels, napkins and tissue constantly. We'find them everyehere. She in the advanced stsges now and doesn't do it anymorem

I must confess. Now that I'm older, I understand the tissue thing. My nose is a lot more runny than it used to be. Must be an old folk thing. Tissues work a lot better than sleeves. :)

jeannegibbs, my mom was diagnosed with LBD two years ago, and her nose won't stop running!

I don't think it is harmful to eat tissues. I don't know why anyone would want to, but household paper products are not toxic.

Oh my goodness Paper Towels! My dad has been abusing them for so many years! That's just funny someone else has this addiction! They are everywhere and the dog gets them and shreds them under the bed. It's unbelievable! I often wondered why not a tissue! I would think your nose would be raw! But it's the spitting that gets me. We rarely blow, we just spit everywhere. It's gross!!

MIL is tearing up tissue in small pieces and sneaking them into her mouth to chew on. Could this be harmful to her health? I am thinking she is swallowing as well. Any ideas?