Senior weekend boredom cures. Any suggestions? - AgingCare.com

Senior weekend boredom cures. Any suggestions?

... so after much trial and error, I've split the caregiving of my father between a paid caregiver and myself (I had to do it for my sanity).

Though we have someone to stay with him from 7 PM to 7 AM Saturday nights, he really struggles during the day (to the point of being sad that he isn't going to the Adult Day Center as he does during the week).

My ultimate delimma is that weekend days are the only times when I can get rest from my job (and even that's a stretch), and I enjoy lounging around and catching up on house chores. Daddy, on the other hand, gets EXTREMELY board and restless.

Dad doesn't like to DO much (he was at an ALF and NEVER attended the activities). He enjoys fishing, but I HATE the sport. Due to his limited sight and decreasing motor skills "fishing" is more of someone else setting up and baiting the line while Daddy sits there and holds the pole,,,for about two minutes before he unsucessfully attempts to reel in the line only to tangle it.

My BF has taken him "fishing" twice but of course they don't catch anything because Daddy doesn't get the line in the water. My BF's increasing job demands have him working most weekend days or trying to catch up on rest.

I have googled senior activities, but I don't think Dad will go to any of them. Is it wrong for me to feel a little trapped by this set up? We certainly can't afford to bring in any more help/companionship, but I don't want to be the chauffer or sweater (Dad keeps his house at about 85 degrees ALL THE TIME) on the few days that I have off.

Any suggestions?

30

Answers

1 3
These were all very helpful. I am going to definitely run to the hardware store and try to find Daddy some screws or nuts and bolts to sort. I even thought about getting him some kids games that involve sorting things to keep him occupied.

Sometimes the reality of him becoming a child is hardest. My Dad was once so vibrant and strong... it's hard to take in sometimes....

Don't forget the ice.

She always has Send asnd to be honest and serious sometimes I am sure she still is. Today was a point in question - said she couldn't stand so because my daughter was visiting I promptly did a half squat and said sit on my knees I can hold you better there. Well she didn't sit, she too squatted and didn't put her full weight on me or even perch on me although I was ready for her to do that - no way could I hold her upright - back would have gone. My point is that it takes considerably more strength to hold your weight in squat than it does in stand position. 10 minutes later she couldn't get out of the car - well of course she could she wanted lifting out. I tried to help her and she actually pulled back on me - I felt her pulling - my back went immediately and I had no choice but to let go - her response? what are you doing I could have fallen there - well you pulled back Mum why did you do that -
I wont go into details but she swears she didn't yet I actually felt her doing it. Well she has cooked her own goose, I am now back to taking tramadol which wipes me out so well done Mum you crack on because I am going to sleep now

Jude, guess no one likes to have a screw loose.
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Are you sure your Mum is not playing with your mind?

My niece takes her child to "toddler drop-off". No reservations needed. What if someone started a "Senior drop-off" privately, on the weekends only? Near the mall and grocery stores to allow caregivers a few hours of respite.

Be sure to pick up your loved ones on your way home, don't forget now.

Oh dear, wondering how far-fetched this idea will be, and then worried y'all won't receive it well at all, but I offer you this.
Toddler play groups, weekend sleepover for teens, what about for seniors? You could invite (other caregivers) to bring over a friend from the weekly adult daycare to your home for a few hours. Then take Dad to their home next month.
Obviously, this may not work except in the rare circumstance, but maybe someone can pick up this idea and expand on how it could work. Otherwise, could we just hear silence from any naysayers.

I strongly agree with you on senior activities. However as for the dangerously hot temperatures in this person's place, you don't have to put yourself in a position of risking a heat stroke if you're happen to be heat stroke intolerant. You don't have to risk your health and well-being, you have the power to do something about it and to protect yourself. You can choose to refuse to be in that place if it's too hot for you, especially if you happen to be prone to heat strokes or you're recovering from one. You don't have to put yourself at risk

Check with the local public and catholic schools to see if any students are working on their National Honor Society volunteer work during the summer. They might be great reading to him, teaching him a magic trick, taking a walk with him, asking him about his life story, etc. When I was teaching 5th and 6th grade, my students each had an "adoptive" grandmother or grandfather for a semester and the assignment was to always be respectful, helpful, and learn whatever you could about that person. My students were truly blessed by these lovely people and lifetime friends!

We just keep trying things, don't we? Sometimes it works, sometimes not. And just because it worked on Monday, doesn't necessarily means it works on Tuesday!!

Wrong wrong wrong.

After a wonderful morning - she sorted the lot. She then had a la la moment
After wanting to know why we had all the screws and me telling her - she said well I have done that now and scooped them all bag into the bag before i could stop her!

1 3