Is it possible for a senior to forget to eat?

Mom is moving to an AL place where meals are served in a dining room 3 times a day. But I worry she may forget to go eat. She does not have dementia officially but since her stroke has been forgetful and time is fuzzy for her now.

I'm assuming mealtime will be so fun that she will not forget. She will also have snacks in her apartment. Still, is it even possible for someone to become sick from forgetting to eat?

23

Answers

1 2 3
I should clarify that Mom does not have Alzheimers. I think I will mention it to the staff, too.

Oh Yes! they can also forget to bath, change their clothes from day to day and many other daily routine issues. My MIL forgets to brush teeth, flush, wash hands and comb hair on a daily basis. If I remind her she is like "Oh yes I forgot" then goes and does it. In an AL setting however there still should be some staff there. When My FIL was in AL the usually do have staff that make sure still that everyone still eats. If you mention your concerns to the facility they will come at all meals to make sure she heads down to eat.

Good for you! Good for you for facing and naming the question and asking for ideas, and then trying them out - we can bring small changes, and by paying attention rather than assuming that the old patterns are sufficient, we can bring new options that are often the ones that sustain new progress! Good work!

Thank you for all this helpful information. Mom told me later that she got hungry and went downstairs by herself to the snack bar by the elevators and got an apple. I was thrilled.

It has been a few days since that first day and I've been to the place and it is amazing. She may gain weight, now, since she loves the food and they also have assigned an ambassador to her (not sure for how long) to get her for meals and show her around. Plus, now, her apartment has been stocked with the snacks she had in her room at our house.

Yes, not eating can make the elderly sick. A friend who works in an upscale nursing home once told me that poor nutrition is a major cause leading to admission in well over half their patients.
That said, it is unlikely that your mom will miss meals at assisted living where three meals a day are served. At the ALF where my 92-year-old friend resides, meals are announced by way of loud speakers in the residents' rooms and the halls. Poor nutrition that led to digestive issues was a driving factor that put my friend in the ALF. Now -- heaven help me if I should happen to be standing by the door to her room when meals are announced! She'll stop talking mid-sentence, stand up, and practically "mow me down" as she hurries to the dining room as fast as she can move with her walker! In the rare instances when she dawdles, they check up on her in a short time.
-----------------------------
Just a few more bits of info to share:
The senses of taste and smell are the first to go, so food is far less enjoyable. I've also heard that it is the reason that some elderly put way too much salt on their food -- simply so they can taste it!
--------------
My step-father died at age 76 from a variety of ailments. He'd been a "meat and potatoes" guy until about age 70, but then he lost his taste for meat to the point that he'd say, "Meat! Blech!"
--------------
Two of my friends periodically visit a couple (who are not relatives), now in their 80s, who moved to another state. My friends used to love the meals they were served -- a wide variety of well-prepared food in more-than-abundant quantity. Now, when my friends visit them very occasionally for a couple days, more than once the hosts have simply forgotten it is meal time. My friends cannot find enough to fix a meal in the house and have had to phone out for pizza for everyone. The elderly couple have plenty of money, so that isn't the reason "the cupboard is bare." My friends have begged them, more than once, to move to assisted living, but the answer is "no"!

My mother doesn't get a headache when she doesn't eat and has no appetite. There are no cues to her that she should eat except to look at the clock. For awhile, she was forgetting to look at the clock, too, so she just wasn't eating.

When my Dad was at home with his dementia, he seemed to forget about eating at regular meal times. Then, when he finally figured out he was actually hungry, he wanted something RIGHT NOW....and was very irritable. Since he had lost 30 lbs in a couple months, when we discovered this and discovered that Mom was not fixing him meals, I suggested stocking the freezer with ice cream and making a shelf in the fridge with easy to get to nourishing foods he would like, like slices of ham, and cheese and fruit, like grapes in a cup....things he could just grab when he suddenly felt hungry. Also got Mom to offer him high protein chocolate milkshakes because he loved anything chocolate. Left to his own devices, he would sit and eat half a jar of p-nut butter or half a gallon of ice cream while watching TV and think nothing of it....until it caused diarrhea the next day!!

My mother's AL comes knocking when she doesn't appear at her usual space. Only if she is ill, does the facility allow her to stay in her room. If a family member takes her out of the facility, an AL employee stops by to make sure we have taken care of her meal, or "do we need them to bring a sandwich?". I appreciate the fact that she is cared for in such a way.

Without reading all the answers, just let me say that I am not 65 yet, and any time I am by myself, I do forget to eat and I am no skinny minny either.... . one time I didn't eat for so long I got nauseous, and so I still avoided food until someone told me that if you don't eat for long enough your stomach tries to digest itself, and so I forced myself to eat some saltines and broth, and yes, I just needed to eat. I need food.... however, I wonder if someone with dementia might not recognize the symptoms of food deprivation..... headaches, etc...
On another note, when my Mom was in rehab for stroke it was noticed that senses become more acute, and anything that tastes odd, will taste ten times worse to that person. So they might not want to eat it.

I have heard no one say the facility monitors their parents to see that they eat. My moms will call her to come to the dining room if her chair is empty, but I have to ask those around her whether she eats. They say yes, but she doesn't go twice a day frequently. She needs to gain weight but isn't. She says she doesn't get hungry. I am 69 and I forget to eat if I'm busy. Spent today at the local hospital. Ate a dry breakfast bar at 3 pm with water. Finally got good food when I got home after 4. So I understand and try to remind her.

1 2 3