Is my mom responsible to pay dad's debt if the credit cards are in his name?

My father ran up debt before diagnosed with dementia. Is my mom responsible to pay the debt if the credit cards are in my dad's name?

14

Answers

Unless you are connected at the hip, a Siamese twin, you are not responsible for another person's credit card debt....as long as your name is not on the app, the credit card or the Card on file. That's why we all have our own Social Security number, our own Individual Retirement Account ( IRA) , and our own name, date of birth and our own DNA. They may tell you otherwise, but you are not responsible for another person's debt.

If they're married, I assume the credit card companies will try to come after her too. I'd contact each credit card company and ask for their policies in this kind of situation before contacting a lawyer. Get it from the horse's mouth.

Actually, sharing debt is not part of marriage. If only one person signs, only one person is liable. Their estate is liable when they die. You can't sign your spouses name, that's called fraud, so how could signing your own name make them liable.

Husband and wife share and share alike, income, debt, it matters not in whose name, singular or not. At my age, elderly I presume, there is little a card company can do to collect balance owed other than to turn it over to a collection agency. That then becomes a headache for who ever receives the collection phone calls, letters and etc from the collection agency. Contact a elder care attorney, a specialist in elderly matters, get some legal advise. First time vistis are usually without charge.

I could be wrong, but I would think if they are married... then yes. Sad but true, sharing debt is part of a marriage...

It may differ from state to state. Some states are "community property" states, some are not. Elder law attorneys can be awesomely helpful with things like this if they are familiar with your state's Medicaid and other financial regs.

Thank you havefaith! I am not his guardian only his health care surrogate. I thought of the long term care insurance for myself but would not know who to call or where to start on that one. At the moment I am tending to my father and it takes all of the 24 hours in a day. He is upset with me at the moment since I had to converse with him last night that I need a rest from caretaking and in the new year we have to do something different. It is sad and I know it is the holidays but I am getting too worn out for this after two long years of doing it by myself. Thank you for your support. It means a lot to me! Blessings

@crystal1224

I do not believe that you are financially responsible for any of the debt unless you have become his guardian and have signed legal papers as such. I would recommend speaking to a lawyer about all of this just to be absolutely sure. We are running into the same issues with my in laws. They don't have the debt but are sitting on a reverse mortgage of which they have just about run through that and only have social security after that. I do not recommend the reverse mortgage at all. They have no will or anything in place and have us all in quite a catch 22 to say the least. Nor will they do anything about it. So we've all had to back way some because if they won't listen then we have to abide by their wishes as difficult as it is and allow for them to live as they wish. The sad thing is in our case if they run out of finances and can not pay for their care taker any longer as my MIL has diabetes and is on dialysis and my FIL has mild dementia then the state will have to make the decisions for them. But this will be their choice, not ours. We dislike this situation that they have placed us in but they have given us no other options other then to honor their wishes and not hound them as they keep telling us that we do. So we just have to tough love it. I would highly recommend looking into long term care insurance for yourself as well as a will and living trust if you do no already have them in place. Then when you are in need of them you and/or your family won't need to worry about what to do financially. I wish you the best of luck and God Bless!

You need to talk to a lawyer. Are you the POA, the execator in charge of finances etc? You need to find out what is protocol. Good luck, call for legal help.

@faithinGod - I just read your reply. Here is my scenario. Dad has credit cards that he has been paying on for years. There is no will. There is no funds should he pass on do you mean to say because I am his caretaker and daughter that I would have to pay those. My name is not on any of his cards, Never has been. I don't co-sign for anything with anyone. I will keep this in mind when the time comes to contact his credit companies (2) and let them know. He also has a storage shed he has paid on for some 30 years. I wonder how we get access to that. Would it be the same thing? I don't believe anyone's name is on that either. Maybe my little brother I am not sure. Good questions to ask of my father now while he can still talk. This is a good topic of discussion. Thank you.