Is it right for someone recovering from a stroke to be alone? - AgingCare.com

Is it right for someone recovering from a stroke to be alone?

A person had a stroke, was in hospital and then rehab, wanted to leave rehab, told them he had a good support system, uses walker to walk, not sure he can rise into walker or sit back down after using walker without assistance, but he can walk very slowly w/walker. Can feed himself. Had stroke that affected one side of body. Has fallen since being home, had to have help to get back up off of the floor. Cannot get in and out of bed alone. Could fall at any time. YET with all this - the person who is with him -- will be leaving him unattended at times... Periods of hours. He can get someone to come and help him if they are home -- they cannot lift him without help from others though.

In this situation, what is the right thing?

New at this. *Not related to person in need. Feel the need to help his main assisting person that he must have more assistance. I already told them that he must have someone there who can lift him.

did he leave rehab too soon?
does he need someone there who can lift him?
your thoughts:

Please advise.

15

Answers

Im 49 years old, i had a mini stroke 10 years ago im doing fine except for my memory is terrible i live with my late husband John's (he died from strokes 3 years ago) eldest sister anyways she doesnt help me with my medication and i know i've overdosed on it cause i get extremely tired where i cannot stay awake. I dont like having a mini stroke cause it changed my way of life plus i want to live on my own but my family says no to me so i get depressed.

asa

I would have his doctor request an evaluation from a home health care provider. They will advise if physical therapy is needed and personal help in the home as well. They are also very good at talking to the "client" as to why these measures are necessary. Medicare takes care of all the charges.

Same for you sapawn...sometimes it is just necessary to be the adult and make decisions that ensure the safety and care our elders require.

Best wishes!

My Grandmother had a stroke and no way she could be left alone and she kept having mini strokes and falls. I took care of her for several years before she had to go to the NH. My father who I tend to now can be left alone for short periods but not for a whole day or half a day. I would feel terrible if he would have a fall and he could not get up. Luckily the times he did fall my son was here to help him get up. It is dangerous for anyone living alone who has suffered a stroke in my humble opinion.

What happens if an outsider comes in, sapawin? How does she try to keep them out?

mom needs help won't let outsider in i have to work help!
has stage 2 demetia

wow so many typos above..so sorry

I wish I knew how old this person is. My husband suffered two major strokes before the age of 43. I can tell you this...the patient "usually' seems to feel that they can be left alone (maybe it's just a "man" thing). He wants his independance back and doesn't want to wait for it. It's a slippery slope when you don't want to "hover" over someone but you know they still need help. If this person, in any way, cannot get to a bathroom, or a phone or food and drink within seconds, then no, should not be alone. There's such a chance of recurrance and if not that, then of a fall. It's how you approach it with the patient that will make all the difference. The caregiver should not be leaving him alone in the state you describe even if that's what he wants. I would leave my husband at home when I knew my adult daughters would be there for a friend or...I would bring him with me. Hubby is completely independant now but it's been over 7 years. Still have a drop foot somewhat and can't use his right hand at all but..after about years he adjusted and learned how to do things "his way" again. He may no put his pants on like you or I, but he certainly can do it fine now. It's a learning process and it takes time. I would avoid anything that even remotely sounds to him like you are taking away his indepence. I just "happened" to go out when someone else was there. We didn't discuss this it's just what happened and he never complained about it. Good luck to you as a stroke is a difficult thing to deal with. Hugs

It would be more affordable to hire companion care outside of an agency. The agencies cost an arm and a leg. If you can find someone you can trust and pay them 10-15$ and hour, that wouldn't use up the resources so quickly. I wish medicare/insurances had some sort of program like this that would be more economic and allow people to stay in their homes.

I am a stroke victim and have fallen 15 times in 6 years.I keep four cordless phones on the floor so maybe I could get to one of them.I have been trained how to use my good arm on the sofa to get off the floor.Therapy is EVERY THING.My first 8 weeks I had six sessions per day.Then into nursing homes for 6 months with 3 therapies - 5 days a week.I had no insurance.Now I live alone.Each victim is different. The senior center can be a BIG help for him they will provide care and send him meals. Check it out.