When can my Mom not live alone anymore??

She gets better and worse and better and.....If things keep changing...how do i know? My Mom has dementia and is going to be assessed by a Dr. , next Tues. I have been doing lots of research and if I am anywhere close she has like stage 5 Alzh but sometimes she seems way better....shes way confused and most of the time, doesnt know Im her daughter, although Im the only person she sees and i see her @ least every other day, she has no idea who pays her bills (i took that over months ago). Sometimes she seems like late stage 6....completely jumbled words, and just way out of it.. Today i spent 2 hours sitting w/ her and she doesnt make much sense, but seems to enjoy being at home, alone. I bet she is very lonely. She has hallucinations and thinks ppl and small children are with her, during the day. I know its going to be best for her, and hope Doc reccommends assis. living or skilled nursing as I know this will progress, but she keeps speaking of moving to small cottage or lil house and how do i tell her where shes really moving?? will she know??? HELP

18

Answers

Yes, thanks, Patricia! We are extremely fortunate in our circumstances compared to so many. Right now, my mom's monthly income is about $2,500. She has a bank account with about $40,000 in it and we are preparing to sell her house (which should sell for about $230,000). The cost of her memory-care residence is about $6,400 a month, which includes most everything except medications and supplies (depends, kleenex, etc.). So we have about 4 or 5 years before we'll need more funds to supplement her monthly income. The residence she is at now does not take Medicaid, so when it comes time that she has about a year left of income to live there, we would have to move her into a Medicaid facility in order for Medicaid to kick in. If she is still lucid and doing well where she is now, I would want her to stay there and thus would return to the workforce (which I want to do dearly, but left it nearly 5 years ago in part to assist my parents) to pay the difference. We are fortunate that we can afford to do that (me staying home with kids now and/or returning to the workforce when the time comes).

Thank You Maria for your reassurance!! My Mom does not have any assets and Medicaid will be covering the rest of her care, along with the $1,400 that she recieves for SS. I am wondering why you would have to put YOUR pay towards her. You and your family have to live, too. Thank You, again)

Patricia, your mom and my mom are in similar stages. I assure you it is the right thing to do, both for your mom and yourself. My mom is in a memory-care residence within a larger senior living community. There are 15 residents and a staff of about 5 or 6 during the day and 2 during the overnight hours. Everyone has their own rooms/mini apartments within a larger setting that includes activity room, great room and kitchen/eating area. The memory-care rsidents are free to roam about their house and some of them are able, with volunteers or staff members, to attend events and activities within the complex but outside the secured house. My mom is safe, secure, watched over and equally important, has social interaction and activities throughout the day. Not me, not my sisters, could provide her with the care she is getting. We love our mother, but we would lose our minds and our own families. She needs more attention and activity than we could provide. And we are lucky enough to -- for the next 4 or 5 years -- be able to pay for this care. At a certain point, I will likely return to work full-time and my pay will go directly to my mother's care. Hang in there with your mom and good luck finding a place. I looked at many of them and found one I knew would fit my mom great and it does. We're nearing the 2-month mark and she's content there and really hitting her stride.

I can understand that it is really difficult to let your mom live alone in a senior care community. My grand mother is living in a senior care community named no place like home care and her health has improved after going there.

I want to thank everyone for their unbelievable help and support! My Mom was seen by a Dr. this evening and Dr. has diagnosed her w/ Alz. stage 5 and has said because of mobility issues and Dementia she can no longer be safe at her home or even mine.(she needs to be cared for in a facility that can and will ensure her safety) What a relief....i kept second guessing and feeling guilty, like I was doing some type of sneaky intervention...which, in reality, is not too far from the truth. The reason i had the strength to push forward, is because someone on here said "do not second guess yourself and even if she seems better, move forward, with your plan". That was GREAT advice and Im glad u r ALL here!!! Thank You, again;)

My husband told his mom in a matter of fact, confident manner. She was reassured by his manner more than anything. Of course he had to tell her several times due to her dementia. His confidence and calmed reassured her each time. ( even when it became quite casual on days 4&5.

Thank you Maria 17!! For the hope!! did you wait for your Mom to agree or did you just bring her to the new place?? Is it Assis Living or NH?? Does she have dementia?? Does she know thats her new home?? Have the asses. taking place tommorrow and I am very nervous, yet looking forward to at least knowing whats up and where shes at....so we can move forward;) Then of course Im concerned about what if she fools them etc,,,Thanks to Everyone here!! You are ALL wonderful and I really dont know what id do without you all!!

Let your mom know that you've found a great place for her where she can be comfortable and safe. Let her know you will help her set it up like a small cottage and it will be homey and comfortable. Let her know she can socialize or not, if that's her wish. For me, having my mother in a safe and comfortable place has been a godsend. We're at 6 weeks now and it is going SO well. I couldn't be more pleased with the way my mother has adapted and with the care she's getting.

jeannegibbs just triggered a thought.... when she said have the doctor tell her. My mother always will do anything and is very agreeable when a good looking man suggests anything. If there is someone she has an affection towards it may be easier if he is with you upon first arrival at the new residency.

I wouldn't tell her she is going to "one of those places." I would tell her she is going to Sunny Hills Residential Care (the name of the specific place), and emphasize how awesome this is going to be. Mention some of the specifics there she will like. If her memory is such that she forgets this quickly I think I wouldn't keep telling her over and over. Just make the arrangements and move her. I think you are right not to dwell on her own impairments. After working so hard all these years she deserves to have people available to wait on her, to help her take her meds, to visit with. She deserves to be able to socialize when she wants to and sit quietly when she wants to. After all the countless meals she's made in her life, won't it be nice to have someone else to make all meals, do all the grocery shopping, and do all the dishes? Make it about what she is entitled to and what she deserves, rather than about what she can't do any more.

If possible, the doctor should break the news to her that she should not live alone anymore. Give him or her a note before your mother goes in, listing your specific observations, and asking for a statement that she cannot live alone, if the doctor agrees with that assessment.