I am at a loss...seeking advice on many levels.

OK, so long story short (if thats at all possible) My husband and i recently had to extract my Mother in law from her home in FL and bring her here to CO to live with us.
We recieved some concerning information from a close friend who lives in FL stating that Mom was having some issues with unwanted guests in her home!!
Some need to know info... Mom suffered a severe head trauma approx 5 years ago and her mental state has not been the same since.
back story on these 'Unwanted guests' A mother and son knocked on Moms door during a thunderstorm and asked to use her phone. My mother is very kind hearted by nature and so she let these people into her home, They NEVER left!! this was approx 9-12 months ago, we cannot get an exact date as Mom is unwilling to talk about it and gets very upset and defensive if we try to discuss it. we were informed that these people were doing, selling and possibly manufacturing illegal substances in her home(meth). we also believe that they were sedating her throughout this process , to keep her agreeable to what was happening.
We had no idea this was going on we feel terribly guilty , but she kept it from all friends and family! Seeing all these things in person was terrifying and so much worse than we had in initially thought .
We have since done some research and this seems pretty prevalent in FL To pray on the elderly .
Unfortunately once these people (lets call them people) have set up to receive mail at her home they have rights to reside there , also we did get her to admit that she has taken small amounts of $ from them - not nec for bills/rent but money was exchanged which again gives them property rights to HER home.

We have looked into eviction process but it is costly and again she gets very defensive if this is brought up.

We were told by her Dr in the rehab that she wasnt to drive and had her license taken , since then she has somehow had a new one issued online and has been using her car regardless of drs advise. We really dont know how to breach the subject that we can't allow her to drive anymore as we are afraid of how she will react so we have been trying to pre occupy her with daily outings when we can and distract her with daily errands and making her part of our daily family routines.

She has Afib and uses c-pap machine as well as many meds to keep her OCD and depression balanced we need to find her a dr here in CO but she is so reluctant to go to anyone but her DR in FL!!
She gets very fixated on paying her bills, refinancing the house, going to the bank ,mundane tasks that she wasn't doing at all when at home but now is adamant she needs to 'take care of her business' her OCD is worsened because she cannot tell us the last time she went to her Dr or gotten meds so is very unstable as far as mood and behavior.

We cannot allow her to have her cell phone as she fixates on this also , whether it is Calling her bank branch to talk to someone and question them over and over about her account or sending money to some 3rd party for loans or paying bills she no longer has power over, she is risking our personal finance at this point- I let her use my cell a few times and as soon as she wasnt supervised she was trying to wire money to some scam artist who said they could lower her monthly home payment.

I guess i really don't even know what im asking or what my 'question' is. Just looking for a place to start and some advise on how to move forward , right now this whole situation is playing hard on my own mental state- we live in a very small apartment in downtown denver and being in such tight living quarters and taking on her financial burdens are definitely taking its toll.

Thanks in advance for any help / advise that any one can offer us. Just need a plan :-)

30

Answers

1 2 3
Yes, Rainmom and I truly meant no disrespect but makes you realize even more how vulnerable people really can be.

Gershun- I know, right? I had much the same reaction but even more so. I was additionally bewildered by the OPs reaction - and expressed it in a harsh, judgemental way that was unfair and certainly unsympathetic. I feel badly about that now.

As hard as it is to understand this situation, it is true that once squatters of one slimy variety or another work their way in the door AND then manage to receive mail at the address - it makes them legal tenets with tenets rights. If you don't handle an eviction legally - no funny business like disconnecting the electricity- the home owner can find themselves in a heap of trouble. Incredulous, isn't it?

Now that the elderly owner is safely living elsewhere- time for the OP to begin the daunting task of recovering the property - which starts with a legal eviction- as the OP knows and is working on.

It's funny - weeks and weeks go by with the typical problems of living day by day with an elderly loved one suffering from dementia- then a post like this comes along. Kind of mind blowing, isn't it?

Note: For those just joining the thread, try to read the original post. This is not a home invasion technically, but a scam on a vulnerable elder who with a traumatic brain injury, naively allowed people into her home. The home is now described as a flop house for addicts and the OP and her husband had to rescue their 75 y.o. Mom out. She does not have a mental illness, but similar behaviors and OCD most likely caused by the trauma.
Forgive me for speaking for the OP, but she is overwhelmed, this is really happening, and yes, it is bizzarre, but not so unusual a crime these days.imo.

.

I can't believe that someone can ram their way into your home and after a certain period suddenly have tenant rights? That sounds simply preposterous to me. So that means if someone bodily shoved me out of the way in my property, drugged me, so I couldn't speak, stayed for a few weeks, they could suddenly have tenant rights? Forgive me, I'm joining this discussion late but have I missed something somewhere or what?

I mean no disrespect here. I am just baffled that in this day and age this could happen.

Your MIL sounds mentally ill or something else is going on to the point that she's in danger of losing her assets if YOU don't take action. You need to do a Power of Attorney (POA) on her. Yes, she will have to agree to it, but they are fairly easy to obtain. You have received some very good suggestions here and I believe if you and your husband apply most of them, you will secure whatever health and finances are in the best interest of your MIL. Basically, you have to get really assertive with Mom...but speak to her about how you know SHE wants what's best for all of you, and protecting her assets, her health and her rights is number one. Tell her that she is a smart woman and has a kind heart but that its essential to handle things quickly so that she's protected. I'm assuming she's on medication...get on the phone with her Florida doc and tell him what's been going on and see if he can make a phone appt. with her, to convince her to see a local doctor with you. I'd also ask if there's anything he could do in order to help the situation; write a letter recommending that you and your husband should step into help MIL due to reasons of her illness and the unhealthy situation in her home. This may help you secure the POA more easily.
I had a similar situation, though my mother lived in an apt for age 55 plus when a man in his 40s who'd visit his mom, latched onto my mother and for a long time, we thought it was just a casual relationship until we realized this guy was a drunk, would spend my mothers check, crashed her car and eventually my mother lost her housing over him. She'd lived there 11 years and after so many events due to HIS behavior, plus she had begun drinking, she was homeless. At that point, it was becoming more noticable that she was having memory problems, but I didn't know if it was from the drinking so I began trying to get her to the doctor among other things to try to separate her LIFE from this parasite of a man. He didn't want to let go and neither did she, so I had to "play a game" to outsmart him. I've left out a lot of details but basically I had to have her checks redirected to my address, close her bank account, then remove her out of that situation by saying we were just going to be spending the weekend together, then 3 days later, I went back and kicked his ragged a** out of her apartment. I also told the manager to ask him to leave if she saw him on the premises - that he had been taking advantage and abusing my mother. We then had to go back and clean everything out of the apartment, put my mothers things in storage and a new phase of her life had started. Get on the stick...it's not easy to do this, but you CAN do it, I believe in you!

303Blanks,
How long have you had Mil in your home?

I am all for what is best for the elder, and not upsetting her is important to her health. It is very good you are distracting her-the OCD must be treated.
Have her old pharmacy transfer the Rx. to the new pharmacy. Some may be refillable without a doctor's new order. Then phone the former doctor's office and request refills to last until you can find a new M.D. in your area.
Doing that, you will discover at least: "Last refill", and, the doctor's office may say "No refills" because she hasn't been to see the doctor since....and then you will have the information you seek.  Mil should/could be near the phone, giving you permission to know.  Say,  "Come on Mom, let's sit here and get your Rx refilled".  If Mil won't cooperate, if the pharmacy won't help or give you info,
(because of Hippa Laws),  then say you are calling to report prescription drug diversion on all of her prescriptions.  This will help stop the criminales.
By doing this, you will also give/get a heads up for any "prescription drug diversion" committed by the criminals, an arrestable offense.

ff, You are exactly right! But everyone here kept very silent, the home was resold.

If there are any cars left on the property, have them towed. 

How, you ask? 1) This car's plates are expired, oh, and BTW won't match the vehicle, ha ha ha!  2) This car no longer has any plates and was abandoned here. 3) This car was stolen. 4) This car was used in a crime. 5) This car has a huge amount of illegal drugs being stored under the passenger's seat, accessible from behind. 6) This car is no longer operational, has 3 flat tires (at least they are now) and one tire is missing; and therefore illegal to abandon on private property. 7) This car has a horrific odor emanating from the trunk, with a reddish brown fluid dripping out from underneath.
8)  This car has a huge dent, (yeah, it does now); and is a blight on the neighborhood.  9)  This car has been tagged by the city for infractions.
10)  This is my ex-boyfriend's car and he failed to come pick it up.
Do you have any tough guy friends left in the neighborhood?  Sissies, don't try this at home-this advice is not for Sissies!
omg....you are all going to wonder how I come up with this.
Note:   7 out of ten car problems are under your control!
 Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs!

303Blanks, this information is for you and anyone else who's elders might be in a similar situation.

When the time comes to sell the house, some States have laws that the Seller must disclose to the Buyer that the home was a former meth lab. If the new home owners can prove that the Seller or the Seller's representative knew about this, but failed to disclose, there could be a lawsuit :(

I think it's a home invasion but apparently the police do not. I cannot even imagine what you are going through. This seems absolutely crazy that the person who owns the home has to go through all of this just to get some ne'er do wells out of the home. Where is the justice? Glad you are here - great advice from everyone!

1 2 3