Is scabies a reason Mom's personal care home would prevent her from going back after a doctor's appointment?

I'm just suspicious that the director of the home wants her diagnosed outside the home so she won't have to make a health dept report, treat all 10 residents, plus all the staff, and do all the cleaning a legal report would require. Mthr is on hospice, which I understood to take care of all her needs from signing on forward, but the hospice nurse called asking if I could take her to a dermatologist asap. The nurse even seemed nervous. This eve the case worker and the nurse were at the home right before I showed up, so I could not talk to them in person.

When I looked at mthr's hands, arms, belly, they all looked like the photos of serious scabies. When I arrived, the aide was there, and mthr wanted to hug, but I said, No, I was not sure she was not contagious, and the aide agreed. When I looked, without touching, I said it looked like scabies to me, and the aide looked shocked.

I sent the director an email telling her what I thought it was and that I did not want to take her anywhere in my car. I thought I would talk to the nurse in the morning and see what her story is outside the home where the pressure might not be so great. Does anyone else think it's odd that hospice would want me to take her somewhere for treatment when they have said everyone would come to her in the past?

17

Answers

vstefans followed your link and the cream recommended seems to be a very simple treatment easily given at home or in the nursing home. I would recommend using gloves when applying to another individual. Anyone can do it themselves as long as they can reach the lesions and are not confused.

They probably won't want to put anything in writing about the scabies, true...and my vote would be to just treat for scabies if the rash is typical enough rather than require confirmation of the diagnosis by scraping. You did fine with the clothes and bedding, but if you have any lesions at all, you want to go ahead and treat it before it spreads. It is probably best for you to have a doctor visit and get the Rx treatment for yourself, though you can possibly get some things OTC that may do the trick...cdc recs are here: cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/health_professionals/meds.html and they indicate no OTC products are consistently effective enough. It is a little harder to get rid of this than head lice, but it is nothing you can't do.

Thanks Pam for the info. That is past history now. All my horses are in that big pasture in the sky these days.

And the director of the memory care has not responded to my 2 emails about this. I have had bronchitis since, so I can't talk on the phone. I don't think the director wants to admit they have scabies.

OP here. I'm not going over until I hear she is all clear. I'm almost certain it had to be a hospice worker who brought it in, unless mthr had them throughout the 2.5 years she's been a resident.

More recently, Hospice told me I would have to take her to a dermatologist for a skin scraping to confirm scabies, but without that test they could order a cream for neck to foot coverage that would kill any bugs. They were fine with me not wanting to get her in my car for the official diagnosis. I suppose that keeps the employees from having to be notified and all the employer's liability coming up. Ugh.

Unfortunately, I did take mthr's sheets home along with the clean clothes which were hanging in her closet. I placed them in sealed black plastic garbage bags to bring them home, then left in the hot sun for 3 days before I washed them. I still could have been exposed when I gathered them though I tried to be careful. I have 2 red bumps of some kind which have popped up in the week since, and I have been keeping them covered with antibiotic oil, which would not kill bugs but makes me feel like I'm doing *something*!

Veronica, get over to Agway or Tractor Supply, they have some good horse worming paste, "apple flavored" (but still yucky). Try some Tea Tree Oil horse shampoo, it keeps the flies off and it smells very nice.

Scabies is awfully itchy but should respond to treatment. Immunocompromised people can get it really, really bad though. I've caught it twice from patients I've cared for.

Scabies is extremely contagious and she needs to see a Dr. My grandson got scabies riding home from a hunting setting on the deer he just killed. Dr gave
him some soap and he was fine. But everyone needs to be treated that delt
with the patient. Not the end of the world, but who wants to delay treatment when it's a simple fix.

not to mention disinfection,fumigation what ever they do. Goodness Pam I am itching already. Had a horse come back from Cornell with round worm and we were bathing her in betadine for weeks not to mention the Gentian Violet. "No the 1/2 ounce bottle is not what I need how about a gallon

Surprise, I would be calling the county health department IMMEDIATELY to report Scabies at the facility. Scabies in humans is the same mite as Mange in dogs. Good grief do not go there! Alert Hospice!! The whole facility needs inspection and possibly quarantine!