My mom died less than 5 months ago. Last week I saw my 88 year old dad kissing a woman. What gives? - AgingCare.com

My mom died less than 5 months ago. Last week I saw my 88 year old dad kissing a woman. What gives?

14

Answers

Be glad he believes in living a life! My 81 widowed mother lives like the living dead, a recluse watching TV all day and miserable. Funny thing is she was glad when my stepfather died, he was a monster. Be happy for him, he has not given up as a widower.

My mom died 10 years ago and my dad remarried an old family friend within 8 months. She died last October and nows he's living with us. Statistics show that men will remarry within a year of the death of a spouse. For me at 48, I can't see the big draw of kissing someone at that age... I'm leaning towards being a cat lady if I outlive my husband. I feel for you, for sure, but it's normal.

I think it is absolutely wonderful when older people find love! Though I do understand how grown children will become concerned because they are used to parents being together for so long.

BTW, when FIL moved in here three years ago I was astonished about the quantity of Levitra and the little blue pills he had!

Yep, FIL 87 has a older woman GF who is 90!

@gladimhere - what a wonderful story you shared. people can find love again at any age!

My mom contacted her high school boyfriend, I tease her by telling her she tracked him down, shamelessly, about 10 years ago. My dad passed 45 years ago, mom had been without a husband for many years. Mom and boyfriend travelled across the country to see each other several times a year each. Finally, he decided to move here about 8 years ago. He was going to get an apartment, but was spending all his time at moms. They decided to live together, then married just about a year later on moms 80th birthday, seven years ago. They are extremely happy and still love being together. I have always been very happy for both of them, and tremendously grateful for him! He did so much for my mom for 5 years until he had some health issues himself, after which he could not care for mom any longer.

My grandpa is 91 and he is in love with his home nurse who is in her early 80s - younger woman. He has dementia but whenever he remembers his home nurse, he keeps saying that he wants to kiss her and tells her that he loves her and he is always ecstatic when she visits him.

I just think it is really sweet.

I love seeing widows and widowers find new relationships. If my mother found someone else, I would be ecstatic for her. We all need love in our life. Children are children, but people need another type love, too. I would just smile and think that "young love" is wonderful.