What are some safe Alzheimer's medications that won't cause muscle weakness and confusion like Aricept and Zyprexa? - AgingCare.com

What are some safe Alzheimer's medications that won't cause muscle weakness and confusion like Aricept and Zyprexa?

Follow
Share
This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
2

Answers

Show:
The main thing to know when it comes to drug side effects: Your Mileage May Vary.

My mom and I can't take statins, she had hallucinations on Cymbalta and got horribly cranky on Namenda, and reacted extremely badly to metformin and to Actos. She's doing great on Januvia though, and tolerates Neurontin and Sinemet (the dose has to be just right though) that the docs were initially afraid of trying. We use daily doses of sugar free chocolates for an antidepressant effect instead of an SSRI for mom now.

And some things that are safe for 99% of the world and sold OTC will make the other 1% extremely confused, agitated, or ill - even Motrin or Ranitidine.

Sometimes all you can do is try something, and be prepared to quit if it does not agree with you. Make sure your docs are like minded on that and don't insist that side effects aren't occurring even though they are well known and straight out of the PDR or RxList. It helps to have docs who have to take meds themselves for something.
Helpful Answer (0)
Report

Zyprexa has a BLACK BOX WARNING FOR DEMENTIA. You can read about it on the FDA web site
Helpful Answer (0)
Report

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Related
Articles
Related
Questions