My Dad has a running nose problem after his mini stroke. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

My Dad has a running nose problem after his mini stroke. Any advice?

My dad is 61 and he got mini stroke at that time his sugar was 600 ,well he is fine nothing happen thank God but after that he has running nose problem it has been two months ,what to do plz help me.thanks

14

Answers

Danamovedon-
Coconut oil turns to a liquid state at 76 degrees. I keep mine on the hot water heater so I am dealing with a liquid. You can cook with it as a substitute for butter or any cooking oil. I usually take it in coffee or cereal, or soak it up with bread. My wife uses it on toast or simply takes it solo.

Results differ with individuals and I think the dosage is important. My wife had major improvements with dementia due to the coconut oil. Some people have adverse effects (diarrhea) when starting with a full daily dose. It's better to ease into a full daily dosage over a few days

I use coconut oil for my omelettes and haven't seen any difference in nasal drippage. But anything is worth a try for this horrible problem.

Noses and feet keep growing while the rest of us shrinks with age. But that wouldn't apply to a 61 year old. We're still young! I'll tell you that everything seems to be affecting my nose anymore and it's worse inside, so check your air filters. Jess82, in what form do you take coconut oil. That stuff reminds me of pure lard and I couldn't possibly choke it down.

Thank you GardenArtist!

102, you might want to repost and start a separate thread. Posters who respond to this specific thread are thinking of running noses, not Medicaid issues, so you'll get more targeted responses with your own thread....Just a suggestion....

A home in Texas is owned by two people. One has employer health insurance and the other is on Medicaid. If the person on Medicaid has a catastrophic health event or become terminally ill, requiring nursing home care, can Texas Medicaid lay claim to the house?

I have had a runny nose, not severe, but more or less constant, for the last couple of years which I attributed to allergies. In addition to the daytime runny nose, I always woke up in the morning with one plugged nostril. I am 83 and in generally good health.

A couple of months ago, I started taking coconut oil (two tbs twice daily). My nose problem has gone away completely.

Your father may have developed some condition during the astronomical blood sugar spike, which although I'm not a medical person could I think have affected a number of other bodily functions, such as causing a stroke.

My father and I both have allergic rhinitis and are subject to heat and cold. My sister developed a runny nose during the late stages of cancer; I assumed that a compromised immune system as well as spread of the cancer to her brain might have had something to do with it.

Ours was diagnosed by an ENT. It manifests itself differently; my father has a runny nose, especially when eating very warm foods; I get congested and it just feels as if no air is getting through my nose.

I've also been told by home care personnel that older people do tend to have runny noses. You might notice that a lot of them carry their own supply of kleenex, stuffed in pockets of shirts or sweaters.

Organs grow weaker with age; apparently the nose is one of them. I still wonder what else might have happened during the glucose spike though.

However, I think the bigger picture is what happened to cause a glucose spike and what's being done to correct it.

My dad has a severe problem. He had a heart attack almost 6 years ago. He also takes OTC allergy medicine and doctor has him on nasal spray. If it helps I would hate to see what it was like off of all these things. My maternal grandmother had same problem as do i but my nasal spray has stopped it and I will hurt someone if they take it away from me. :)) I guess it's genetic somewhere down the line or could be medications but I don't ever read that on the long list of side effects. So to answer your question is I think we all have nothing for you at least I can't help. If anyone hears of anything other than the humidifier please tell! I will certainly tell my dad about it.

I'm wondering if it's the medications they take. It happens to my husband all the time & he's been taking Aricept & NAmenda & also a couple of heart medications. Also it used to happen to his Dad who had Parkinson's & I'm sure was on medicine for that.